Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Mill X4 Help.....Newbie

jmr0311

I'm very new to Mastercam, about 3 days of experience smile.gif . I have this project that I need to get done but I'm having a hard time with what I'm pretty sure is going to be an easy process ones I learn it.I need to machine several pieces of UHMW with some pockets and some thru holes. I created the drawings in Solid Works and plan on bringing those to Mastercam to work with them. I open the solid works files on Mastercam and it shows the drawing of the part.

I'm able to set up the parameters, tool type and other things but my main problem has being the "Geometry Chains". I don't have a clue how to use it if I have a very odd shape pocket. I keep getting the message that says, that the "chains are open" and when I don't get the message and a chain is created when I simmulate the toolpath it does not do what I want. Any help will be very appreciative.

Try going to Create -> Curves -> Curves on all edges.

Pick the surface you need to chain, you may need to use solid chain, this will create geometry for your pocket. Then machine and use the curve you just created to chain for your pocket routine.

Chain creation takes a bit of getting used to, and knowing what chains are needed for what opperation.

As the other post says you can create curve geometry from the existing solid, and then pick those lines. You only need to click once on one part of the chain unless you change the settings in the chaining dialog.

The other option, depending on what Mastercam options you have is to use solid chaining. You can pick the top edge, or even the bottom face of the pocket to define it. With the chaining dialog open see the two boxes on the top. Default would be the box on the left, meaning you are chaining from 2D geometry, clicking the one on the right that looks like a cube will allow you to select faces from the solid (assuming you have the right MC options).

Go through the help files for pocketing toolpaths, and for chaining, they will provide a lot of insight. If you can swing it, a class or two at your reseller will give you what you need very quickly.

quote:

every time I convert any file to mastercam I Delete, Duplicates entities.

Edit > Delete > Duplicates (or you could use the button on top)

In configuration, you can select Mastercam to do this automatically every time you open a file.