Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RAID

Paul Incitti

Graphics wise we aren't pushing them in mastercam. So why not throw multithreading to the gpu for cuda powered processing?

A test I did against CPU vs GPU was cracking tripcodes. The CPU on my machine could crack about 15 million trip codes a second but when I rewrote it for cuda, my GPU could crack about 400 million a second!!!! What would take my CPU centuries to crack my gpu cpuld do in in a matter of weeks! Why not utilize that?

For more info on trip codes just wiki it.

quote:

quote:

I've built many machines using Asus or Gigabyte motherboards which have RAID built into the chipset

Thats software based raid. Motherboards don't have true raid built in and it's done through the bios.

Wrong, that definately is not software RAID and you do set them up in the BIOS. Software RAID can be setup in Windows and used to be called Dynamic discs by Microsoft. Another hint, if it needs a driver to work, it's not software. If you just search google for software RAID or for a comparison of a RAID card vs. chipset RAID you can quickly and correctly find out the difference. The RAID card will usually have no more than 25% better performance but at 3 or more times the motherboard price.

I double you gazillion and raise you a google Murlin.

When I had my LAN gaming center, I built a bunch - 40ish - of MSI NEO based machines with on board raid.

As time went, I found myself re-building arrays and restoring machines one by one. I figure that at one time or another, I did this to prolly 90% of my machines. Drives were fine, but arrays were corrupt.

I re-imaged machines on a weekly basis automagically anyways to keep them clean from the kids doing stuff, so no biggy.

But to have to do that in a CAD environment would be insane.

Robert you know anything about extpart program from dell for servers? We have 4 gig of unallocated space for our Disk 0 and the IT guy next door thinks the server may need it for ghost scripting. Also there is a 4 gig L drive set up on Disk 0 I wanted to move to Disk 1. You have any idea what a long file might be and needed for on server software.

extpart is a partition extension software for the powervaults.

He may be right as far as needing the space for Ghost. I never really used Ghost that often, as I always had mirroring servers for redundancy. Sorry. frown.gif

What I would consider doing, is backing up all the data on L: and then destroying the volume. then you can re-allocate that Disk 0 space where you want, create a volume for L: on Disk 1, and restore the backup to your new L:

I'm sure you know, but always make a restorable backup before doing any partition work.

I hope this helps....