Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Feed rate

STEELTHOM62

I guess im the odd one out on this, but I do pretty much everything in IPM, its all well and good to think optimal cutting conditions for the tool will always be optimal cutting conditions at the machine, but based on tool extension, setup rigidity etc. sometimes thats just not possible and I like the ability to adjust RPM and Feedrate independent of one another (without reprogramming), to me this is often the fastest way to find the 'sweet spot' for eliminating chatter without drastically increasing cut times..

Besides to get my original feedrate I always start at 'optimal' conditions recommended by the manufacturer (or based on experience in a given type of operation ie highspeed machining) and I never really thought of the conversion process of ipt to ipm as being that big of a deal really.

Well from when this discussion started 10 years ago till now, there has been a HUGE progression in toolpath/style availability. all the dynamic stuff basically. With the shallow stepovers your radial chip thinning factor throws any usual IPR calculator out the window. Null and void.

Also, let's say you are using IPR, and decide to bump up your feedrate. Going from .010 to .011 is a 10% increase. What if you wanted to go up let's say 5% in feed? You'd have to enter IPR of .0105 Does your mill have four decimal place resolution for feedrate? I'm nowhere near a machine now to try it.