Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DMG CTX Beta 1250TC Mill Turn

Mcam Nut

Shawn,

Are you looking at the lower turret option? I was just told that DMG is ready to get REALLY aggressive with pricing to get a foot in the door. We sold our MT2000SZ a while back, but I don't miss the work syncing the turrets manually. Our post was from In-House, and the code was good. Just the syncing. I also can't help with the Heidenhain or the Seimens controller, but if you get an NT, you get a "free" seat of Esprit....I do know that on the NT, you need to upgrade to get .001 on the B axis.

Free Esprit with a NT?? We are planning to just get the mill spindle, and maybe a tail stock and steady rest if available, but I don't see much benefit in the lower turret. I was considering Esprit for our mill turn programming, so being free would be a bonus. Mick, are you using a In-House post?

quote:

I was considering Esprit for our mill turn programming, so being free would be a bonus.

lets not kid ourselves here....NOTHING is for free. The cost of the Esprit seat is built into the machine. That being said....it is a proven fact that Esprit is far more capable of driving these machines than Mastercam is. Prove me wrong CNC Software....honestly...please prove me wrong.

quote:

honestly...please prove me wrong.

+1000

Would be nice to have just 1 software for all programming. I like Mastercam, but will probably have to drop maintenance to get a seat of Esprit for the new Machine, hopefully X5 is released before we do. Or maybe Mastercam will replace art with a new millturn addon for X5 bonk.gif

Honestly,

I would bet the price you pay for Esprit w/ a Mori purchase is very low. Esprit is hoping to build it's user base and get support contracts like all software companies.

We are now using Esprit for our Mori NL1500SY single turret, live tools, Y-axis and sub-spindle machine.

For that machine, Esprit works very well and the code is rock solid. But, if you are used to MC, be prepared for a long learning curve since Esprit is very different. You will want to do things like you do in MC (it's only natural) but in Esprit it's very different.

quote:

If you really don't need a lower turret, do not get one. It increased programing complexity even if you're not using it. Also, go with a sub spindle even if you don't need one now. I would def go with the NT over the beta if not for reliability alone.

Mike

Mike we are looking at getting something similar but have also thrown in an Integrex E series in the decision process. We are considering a lower turret since we do a lot of shaft turning with a lot of stock removal and balance turning should speed things up a bit, but you suggest getting the Sub spindle, we will probably do most of our work as one piece between a face driver and center, is it possible to use the second spindle like a tailstock? I would like the second spindle for those occasional jobs where it would be handy just to trade the part off and finish in one program and set up, but I am not going to trade that for not being able to turn the whole length of a shaft in one setup. Whats everyones thoughts as this would be our first true mill/turn machine?

Thanks!