Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple parts

SCOTT.R

i was wondering if there was any way to post to run multiple parts with different work offsets with out going into the posted program and copy/pasting the gcode for multiple parts? Usually i am running 1-2 parts but on those times i do run more it would be nice to not have to edit the program everytime i need to change something. Thanks for any help in advance.. cheers.gif

This same scenario took place in a post a few days ago. Some guy looking for only trusted members of the forum to look at his file. It does defeat the main purpose of the forum, as others can't benefit from it. At a minimum, uploading pics would be considered an extension of professional courtesy.

Scott, write back and let us know what took place. I've never had to do what your asking about, but I still read most of the Mill related post in here and may use that response in another situation down the road.

MotorCity,

I don't know the nature of the file Scott sent me and therefore I am not going to post it since it could be confidential.

That does not defeat the forum whatsoever. I am happy to help anyone I can but I also respect people's files.

Tom (G-code) once sent me a file when we were trying to figure out a SW issue and his file was confidential and I did not and would not share it.

I will make a sample dummy file and upload it for this purpose - give me a little time.

quote:

Have you Considered Subs?

They have "a" place but rather "old school"

WHo really cares what the code says as long as the part is good.

and if you're having to make edits on the floor, something else is wrong on the front end.

If your machine can't handle the code, time to consider a DNC.

Work is getting more complex, not simpler.

quote:

I don't like having a program consisting of redundant code if it's not needed.

That's an operators mentality, welcome to the 21st century.

JM2C

I have to agree with John on this. While I like the idea of subs I don't like that many machines require the sub to be external program calls. So, you add more management with that especially if you have program name conventions like we do.

Like John said I feel subs are an old-school approach dating back to the days of hand writing programs.

To each is own though cool.gif

It means our program names have meanings. We use an ERP software for our business and we asign 6 digit numaric part ID's to everything we make or buy. So, all customer parts also have a part ID we asign. Ex 105467

so, a program for OP 1 would be the part ID followed by 01 ex 10546701.nc OP 2 would be 10546702.nc

So, what do you guys do for multiple parts with multiple datums, if not subs?

I use MPSEBREP for posting multiple part programs, because the "transform ops" doesn't group all sequential ops with the same tool together as one sub- it makes a sub for every op, which leads to a lot of subs, or a lot of confusion. Plus, MPSUBREP allows assigning program numbers of your choice to the subs. We tend to make the the prog #'s sequential from the main prog number, and keep them in their own folder with the part name.

So, if you all know a better way than subs, can you share the details? Everyone does things differently, and its always nice to get a new perspective..

Thanks

Steve

I created a program in Visual Basic that I use that takes an NC program and creates subs at tool changes so that if a particular tool uses several ops the subs don't bounce back and forth between parts. A tool completes its work on one part and then moves to the next. I had planned on marketing it but just don't have the time to move it that far.