Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Who actually uses FBM?

"You talk about the Art package like it's useless, and to many people working in a machine shop it is. Fact of the matter is that it DOES represent a new potential customer base."

Then make a seperate product for it rather then bloat what can be a very top heavy system down, and put garbage that 80% plus people are never going to use. All these little used add ons just push the PC, OS, file size and potential for instability to higher and higher levels. Do like Win7 did and strip it back down and streamline the product, get the garbage out of my way please!

"Imagine you are the lead programmer, and you have a good trainee who doesn't yet have the experience t make all of the speed,feed,depth of cut decisions etc. ".

I wont be imagining that ever again. I'll take a guy that knows nothing about computers and knows how to cut metal over "that guy" any day.

Thats a little like saying imagine you are training to be a race car driver but just cant quite see over the dash board IMO. eek.gif

Said in the beta, what seemed like years ago, and will say it again. COMPLETELY USELESS and waste of any productive time.

Will it give you tool paths? Yes, will they be right? Questionable. Are they EFFECIENT? A HUGE NO! Never, ever ever in my 'trialing' of it could I possibly use it.

The jobs I tried it on I could prolly do (inculding run and program time) in 4 hours. FBM would show me like 19hours! WTH!

Junk... JMO tho

Your saying FBM is a good way to train a new programmer to use mastercam?? That sounds like a crash waiting to happen to me. I just tried to use FBM to see if it would actually work. What a mess of a program that was. I would rather have a guy shaddow me for a few days, then let him go on his own, and check his programs for the first while. I have my tool librarys setup and operation defaults setup for the correct speed, feed, and doc. so it makes for a smaller learning curve for a new programmer.

"As a Programmer? I'll call your guy who knows nothing about computers and raise you a guy who knows a lot about computers and is learning about metal cutting under your watchful eye."

Sure you will....with someone elses spindle, a bullet belt full of busted tools, angry setup guys that may well deserve a shot (that now wana quit), and a shop rate that begs to bring on China....have at it....I hope you have nothing else to do besides "watch".

"I'm out on this one guys, have a great day"

Didn't mean to crap in the sand box. frown.gif

Don't mind me, I speak only from my 31 years fast paced job shop / aerospace experiance that has put in more then my fair share of training. My minimum requirements for programming are 5 years shop floor experiance...(give or take with a sharp eager learner)

I guess I'm pretty set on those that design cars should know how to drive....but thats me. Peace....don't taze me bro. cheers.gif

I'm with verndog, give me a machinist. It may take longer to teach him to program. It may take him longer to program. But it will take less time not having to switch out broken tooling and replace spindle bearings running his programs...

I'm telling you if you have any parts that apply to FBM mill you really should give it a try. But do one thing first, turn off the automatic tool creation, and setup the preferred tooling that you want to use. If you tell fbm what tooling you want to use you will get much more predictable results. And if something cannot be machined with that tooling it will let you know. There are people that use it, and if you take the small amount of time to learn it you may too.

quote:

I told him I could barely hear the last carbide endmill snap. tink...

You need to use larger carbide endmills for learing then. A 1.0 carbide E/M snapping will teach you much faster...provided you are there to hear it. biggrin.gif

quote:

Watch the NX video and you will probably have a change of heart.

Dave...I heard 10 years ago the "black box" programming system would put me out of a job....still waiting, I have yet to see her. wink.gif

I'll check it out this eve. cool.gif