Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting text/logo into domed surface

Marshal

What would be the best toolpath to use to cut a logo or text into a domed surface? For example, cutting the EA Sports logo into a domed surface that's about a half inch across. Ideally, I'd just like to cut it in about .010", uniformly across the dome. It'd most likely have to be done with a 1/64 cutter

I've got the piece modeled in solidworks, with the logo cut in. I can bring it into mastercam without any trouble, it's just a matter of figuring out the proper toolpaths to cut the sucker.

We're doing this on a Hurco VM1 Mill, so nothing too fancy

quote:

Surface Finish/ Project is probably your best bet, depending on the geometry.

A wireframe logo above a plain domed surface is how I would do it.

I've been trying that, but it's not giving me the results I need. I've tried every combination of geometry I can think of, inside and outside, and yet it's just not quite working the way I expect it to.

Rather than following the inside of the "s" for example, it follows the center of the line. I don't see any way to change that. I've tried reversing the chains, changing the side, only chaining one side of the letters, and everything else I can think of (which isn't much tongue.gif )

The final result I need is to have not just the outline of the letters cut, but the inside as well...so that the "EA" is entirely cut, not just the outline. Same with the "sports", but those letters are so small all it should take is a single pass with a 1/64" cutter

quote:

use engraving toolpath and project that onto a surface. .125 30deg included angle cutter and it will be crisp as can be.

the pocket and projecting worked great. Engraving won't cut it for what we're trying to do. I wish it would, as it'd be easier every time we've got to cut something like this, but it's just not what the boss-man was looking for

2 methods

-surface finish project

select the surface to project onto

select the curves to be projected, offset from drive surfaces = depth you want to cut deeper by( say -0.010" ).

-project the curves onto surfaces to create new curves on the actual surfaces

use 3D contours to do the actual toolpaths on the new curves

comps OFF, lead in/out OFF, XY offset = 0, Z offset = depth you want to cut deeper by( say -0.010" ).