Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

teaching mastercam on side

MATT Q

Hello all,

Need some advice from some of you teachers. I was recently called from a community technical college to teach a night course on mastercam. I'm thinking about doing it. What should I expect for money and any other stuff like that? And is there some stuff I can pick up off of the internet for a curriculum plan so I don't overwhelm students. By being an advanced user I may move way to fast.

Matt,

I currently teach in southern california, if theirs anything I can do to help you out let me know. I have access to curriculum or can steer you in the direction that would suit you best. You can reach me thru my e-mail: [email protected]. As far as money goes it varies depending on the area your in, I would would not take less then what time and a half of your present wage is.

Henri

• 2 weeks later...

SO then Henri you are for sure under paid if you follow that for teaching.

I was the highest paid at the NH divsion for 3 years except for the campuse director.

And I was under paid.

Teaching at the local collage brings in about doulbe an hour as the NTMA has.

I do say for what I had to do it was not bad money but I make double teaching one on one at my home training center training one at time.

And I have every thing they do.

But teaching is rewarding and I took it on for so long becuase I wanted to share. The money was helpful but was not the only reasion I took it on.

Matt Q if you get the curriculum from Henri remeber this for two classes at 144 hrs apeace.

you need to see how many hours you are to teach.

When I teach at the local collage it is only 60 hr course.

enough said have fun I do.

If you are worried about the money then your intent is not in the right place.There is a difference between teaching and Demo's.Lot's of people know the software, but few know how to make the student successful.Lot's of patience will be needed.I am not saying your a bad Instructor, If you truly like what you do, then money follows automaticly.

Where are you considering teaching at?

Hi Matt,

I taught a night course here in washington state for three quarters. I really enjoyed it, but doing the grading/testing was kind of a drag(not enough hours so I had do it on personal time). I was paid in the low 30's which was really decent for part time work. Don't expect any benifits though. Definatly a labor of love, but I would do it again if the opportunity arose. I am currently the full time instructor for Cimtech Inc. the Washington State Mastercam reseller. For a college course I highly recommend Dr. S.C. Johnathon Lin's book, Mastercam Version 9 Mill and Solids. I'm not sure when the X version will be out, but he does a great job of including good explanations with actual tutorial examples. The Handbook series by Charles Davis is a great book for doing explanations/lectures, but I found it to be a little lacking in the step-by-step tutorial department. Just my 2 cents.

-Colin

I taught a night course here in washington state for three quarters. I really enjoyed it, but doing the grading/testing was kind of a drag(not enough hours so I had do it on personal time). I was paid in the low 30's which was really decent for part time work. Don't expect any benifits though. Definatly a labor of love, but I would do it again if the opportunity arose. I am currently the full time instructor for Cimtech Inc. the Washington State Mastercam reseller. For a college course I highly recommend Dr. S.C. Johnathon Lin's book, Mastercam Version 9 Mill and Solids. I'm not sure when the X version will be out, but he does a great job of including good explanations with actual tutorial examples. The Handbook series by Charles Davis is a great book for doing explanations/lectures, but I found it to be a little lacking in the step-by-step tutorial department

In-House Solutions (the folks that run this site) has some great courseware for MasterCAM classes, as well as an instructor workbook that provides lots of useful info for gettign the class off the ground. The certification course from CNC software is very nice, too. your education reseller should have some nice resources avalible for you, too.

Speaking from the position of someone who has taken couple of mastercam night classes, dont go too fast. Do not use key strokes to show the class, use your mouse which may be slower but the students will be able to follow what you are doing. Dont be affraid of asking how many of them are getting "it" or not. I hope you have a rewarding experience with it.

It's OK to use your keyboard if you "talk" thru your process. When I right click my mouse I say "Right Click Your Mouse". The intention of Icon's statement is right though. Dont keep the process hodden on your desktop. Hot keys are where the speed comes from. You have to explain hot keys during your process.

Another thing is to say what your going to pick "before" you pick it. Not while your picking it.

Mike Mattera

I want to echo the sentiments of the group. Try it you will probably like it. I have been teaching now full-time for several years and enjoy it. I started out teaching part-time. The money will vary. At our school, outside of expensive chicago, adjuncts (part-timers) make around $50/hour. I would expect Kansas to be lower (as I would housing prices!).

Good luck!

Joe Kotowski

Oakton Community College

[email protected]

p.s. Hi, Steve Arteman

I started teaching a night class for the first time about a month ago. I'm finding it quite enjoyable. I was a little nervous at first but I'm pretty comfortable now. It's a real comfortable atmosphere in the classroom. I'm really amazed on how well they are doing.

As for the money, it's almost 2.5x my regular pay at the day job. Ididn't do it for the money though. I'm doing it to help out my old professor and for the experience.

All I can say is have fun with it, I am.

Joey

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm seriously considering going back into the classroom part time again. I really enjoy teaching and I've missed it. It IMHO is a privilage to train the CNC Programmers of tomorow.

We'll see what the future holds for me. biggrin.gif