Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T - help removing a broken tap

jspangler

I have removed broken taps and bolts for years. My trick is to get the Heliarc out and build up weld at the end of the tap and just keep building up like an ant hill about .75 out of the hole, let cool then reheat the aluminum and grab onto the buildup with a pair of vice grips to turn it out. A lot of times on a brittle tap it will take a few times and will break off but it kicks but on bolts. Always use stainless rod it is very ductal. cheers.gif

Joe

I burn them out with Hollow carbide Rod.

The rods are hollow for flush.No peck,

straight push. carbide can really pull the amps

a 3/8 tap being burned out should sound

like your frying a chicken! biggrin.gif

[ 10-03-2002, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Tony ]

I make aluminum axle blocks and always break taps..Using a Sandvik carbide drill will do the job.Get your zero on the hole run about 1700 rpm and let the drill burn the tap. You do not want to be blowing on the hole too much.Cooling off the drill will only make it brittle.The part should not be affected by the heat at all.

I just wish someone would come out with a tap extract for a spiral tap.

I'm used to getting small busted taps out of large mold bases(too large to fit in a hole popper)--similar to iowajim62 but with a slight variation.

I use a two flute carbide ball mill (a used one works fine) the same size as the tap drill diameter cutting on the hole location with plenty of air to blow out the chips. The vast majority of the time this completely cuts out the center of the tap and the tap threads fall out (sometimes with a little persuasion)

I've done this to #6-32 taps, so I know it works well.

Les.