Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New hardware

cqualls

I've been reading this forum for sometime but this is my first post. I've been using Mastercam since version 7 (currently using v9), I'm about to buy a new system. I'm looking at a Dell dimension with a P4, 2.8 ghz with 533 mhz bus, 1GB memory, 40 gig hard drive. I'm looking at 2 different 3d labs cards: Wildcat VP870 or the Wildcat II 5110 128mb agp Pro 50. The question is which card is the better card for running Mastercam? Would I be better off going to a Dell workstation with the xeon processor?

You can not go wrong with eather on they are both nice cards. the Wildcat2 would be a better choice of the two.

the VP870 is built on the Nvidia G4 system vary nice card.

As for going to the xeon processor it will not be that be that big of a diffrence for the price.

The system that you are stating will be fast.

What type of work do you do?

I work for a company named Today's Plastics. I design and create cutter paths for blow molds, some injection molds (I have most of the injection work done outside). I design molds up to about 6 ft in length and 40" wide.

My existing system: Dell 700 mhz, 512 ram, oxygen gvx1 32 mb video card has been bogging down quite a bit lately.

The file I'm working on right now is approximately 7 meg (no cutter paths yet) it takes about 10 minutes to load the file. It took 15 minutes to rotate the part 180 deg.. I know that the problem is in some coons surfaces I created ( 12 coons nurbs surfaces with a tolerance of .0005). If I erase these surfaces everything works fine on this particular file.

A lot of the files I work with are very large in size. A lot of engraving and such.

.cqualls,

How is your allocation settings,and are you running multiple tasks,Do you re-boot frequently,And last but not least Is your hard drive loaded up.Oh try going to the regen folder in your Mcam directory and delete them,This is a hidden drive killer,it will fill you up quickly. smile.gif Just a few options to try.

My allocation settings are, 4000, 8000, 16000, 200000, 256000. The only thing running on my Mastercam computer is Mastercam. I shut down every afternoon and restart the computer every morning. 40 gig hardrive with 27 gig free. The regen folder had 17 meg in it( I deleted these files).

The file is shaded. I unshaded and when reshading it is taking several minutes to reshade.

I know the problem is in the 12 coons surfaces tthat I created and I can likely rebuild these surfaces and fix the slowdown problems I am seeing, I believe I need to add more lines to get the coons surface to flow better. So long as I turn the level off with the 12 coons surfaces everything works fine( there is a total of 929 surfaces in this file), Although when I turn the level back on it takes several minutes to regenerate the surfaces.

Thanks for all the help