Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Are there any 5 axis only books out there

ERIC14779

Are there any 5 axis only books out there for ver 7.2c and/or ver 8.x My company has just purchased a Quintax 5'x10'x48"z 5-axis router/machining center. I already have programing to do (It won't be in house until end of January 2001) but I've been looking for educational material to help. We will be doing vacuum formed part trimming, Pattern making,and contract routing/machining. So I will have a wide spectrum of parts/cuts to do. I have ordered the Tutorial book from this site but do not know how helpful it will be. Are there other books out there ????

thanks

Eric

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Go to "Learning" on the top of the page, and there is a 4&5 Axis Mill Training Tutorials for V8 from In-House Solutions. I just got one yesterday and it's very nice. Illustrates the principles and the toolpaths pretty well.

James Meyette

Kenny,

I hope that the powers that be at CNC Software are working on much more in depth "manuals" for using the 5 axis toolpath comands as the number of 5 axis routers and Machine centers expands... I would like to see each option/method explaned in great detail with examples of (if you do this ---- it does this..... If you do that ----- it does that)...

.... Well I can dream can't I !!!!

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Eric,

If the books offered are no help to you, I suggest finding a company doing 5 axis work and pick their brain. Also, CNC offers 5 axis training classes. I do not know the schedule for the new year, but I am almost positive that one will be held. Contact them, look at their website, for more info.

------------------

Trevor Bailey

www.sandiegomastercam.com

Eric

Theres only one book out there,belive me i have tryed. So i struggled thru the on line help & played around for century,s getting it down.I too have visited other shops & learned a lot by picking there brains but those 5 axis guys DONT like sharing there Knowledge.So i went to different machine tool resellers & bought there 5axis machine users manuals.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Then the light bulb turned on for me after that.The user manuals broke it down for me in great detail.

JMHO

Kenny

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

4 and 5 Axis is like a Black Art. Most people that are good at don't like to share it be4cause it took them so long to get good. Dealer knowledge plays a big part in it. I personally heavily pursue the 5 axis market that is pretty prevalent in my area, whereas some dealers avoid it all together because it CAN be tech support intensive in certain instances.

James Meyette

Gathering information about multi five axis machining is a real pain.BUT a real money maker if you learn to be good at it. The abilty to machine simple to complex shapes from ONE setup. Machining undercuts & keeping the tool tip parallel to the surface normal.JUST to start!

During my learning process of Mastercams basic out of the box 5-Axis Multi Surface Milling ,Iv found it has some limitations.& requires a lot of operator input. & just like James said Dealers Avoid this because of the tech support. I found that out first hand a long time ago. Anyways

Heres a links to camaix 5 axis c-hooks

for those interested. click the tab 5 axis muti. There it will lead you to a 5 axis online manual ,Good reading.

http://www.camaix.com/English/indexeng.htm

Kenny

I've never seen a book on 5-axis techniques in general. We have three Thermwood 5-axis CNC routers. Since there are several different styles of 5-axis machines, techniques vary a lot.

I have several years of experience with Thermwoods and 5-axis post processors. If your CNC router configuration is basically the same as Thermwood's, I might be able to answer some questions if you have any specific ones.

Good Luck.

Dave E.

------------------

Dave Eno

Auburn Vacuum Forming Co., Inc.

[email protected]

Eric,

There are 17 posts under this topic about 5 axis stuff and trying to get you help. Someone, whether they are the competion or not, offers you help and you blow him off. How bad do you really need the help!? If it is one thing I have learned in this industry, always keep an open mind and ear when some wants to offer advice. This way you can at least form your own opinions and still make a friend in the industry.

Hey, to each and his own!!!!!

------------------

Trevor Bailey

www.sandiegomastercam.com

Trevor,

The Plastic Thermoforming Industry is not the same as the metalworking industry. The plastic industry is very secretive and does not share info. I wish it was like the metalworking industry but it isn't...

Also sales are HARD to come by.

And Auburn and AFT are DIRECT competitors

I can see where you thought I was rude but I was trying to be funny....

Eric

Eric

I checked out the Quintax 5'x10'x48"z 5-axis router/machining center web sight. Its a good maschine tool. If your company is buying that machine & its new,I got to belive there some free training as part of the purchace package. Check into it & press the issue. Nail them to the wall for all the trainimg you can get. I WOULD wink.gif

GO get em !

Kenny

Kenny,

Yes they include a 5 day on site. this training includes teach mode programing but they do not have any Mastercam training capability... they have an alliance with Mastercam and Surfcam but use the respective dealers for CAM software support.. Our Mastercam dealer is 2.5 hours away and they currently do not have a 5 axis Router on site. They say maybe March-April.

They (Quintax) do have a Mastercam Post....

The reason I am looking so hard for books is, as you know, when it is 12:30 AM on a Sunday and you hit a snag, and you are suppose to deliver Monday morning, You have to solve your own problem... Even if you have the best support form your dealer or machine builder. They can't be available 24-7.

don't get me wrong, I apreciate help from my peers but when you live and work "in the sticks" you have to be self reliant.

Eric K.

[This message has been edited by ERIC14779 (edited 01-10-2001).]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That's why we have http://www.emastercam.com/forum

To help with stuff wherever possible.

Like I said before 5 Axis is a Black Art. Very few people share their knowledge. So find the ones that know about it, and don't mind sharing. There is little to no 5 axis information out there because even the principles differ from machine to machine. About the only things that are the same or are standardized are axis designations X-Y-Z and A-B-C. A rotates about X, B rotates about Y and C rotated about Z. There are also U-V-W axes but that gets tricky so essentially they refer to linear movement in the X-Y-and Z Axes.

As a dealer, I try to encourace our 5 Axis customers to come to a training class for it. It's not someting easily trained over the phone (much to a few people's disgust - sorry guys).

So, my reccommendation, if classes are not an option, remember this quote "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted the first time." I hope that did not sound callous. I did not mean it that way.

James Meyette

[This message has been edited by James Meyette (edited 01-10-2001).]