Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

feed and speed calculater

geo427

Actually the Speed/Feed/Material library in Mastercam is quite sophisticated and will give very good starting data (as well as you are apt to get anywhere); though most people don't really know how it works or how to use it.

There are two ways of calcing S & F, use the Material Library, or direct from the tool (a setting in Job Setup).

If you use the Material library, basically, it works like this:

1. Assigns a BASE SFM and Chip Load for a material

2. Applies a % multiplier to the SFM based on the operation type (example: contour is 100% of base, drilling may be 60% of base).

3. Applies a % multiplier to the Chip Load based on the tool type (example: Center drill may be 100% of base, Reamer may be 160% of base).

4. Applies a multiplier to the results above based on the tool material (example: 100% for HSS, 130% for Carbide).

If you don't like the SF's you're getting, go into the material library, and monkey with these settings. It will give very good results if set up properly.

Given the HUGE number and combinations of materials, tool types, tool sizes, and tool materials, it's hard to see how a more elegant solution to the problem could be devised.

There was a thread on this a month or two ago. I was quite surprised by the number of highly competent Mastercam users who manually calculate their own speeds and feeds. I would think the folk at CNC Software must be a little disappointed but then again, I haven't managed to do anything very useful with what's available in Mastercam myself. Maybe there needs to be a tutorial set up somewhere to help set it up properly.

Hugh Venables.