Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T mech. desktop origin

Oppiz

Everytime I bring a mechinical desktop model into MC or my CMM the origin is always in center of the part regardless of where I move the part to in mechinical desktop. This isn't a problem in MC because it's easy to change the origin, but its a pain to move the model around with my cmm software. I'm hoping one of you is experienced in Mech. Desktop and can't point me in right direction.

I am a heavy MDT and Mastercam user. I import all of my files with the SAT Traslator and it newver brings the part in at 0,0,0. In fact, always have to move it. It is directly related to where the part is in MDT space. I work almost exclusively with surfaces and make all of the changes to my extrusion die in MDT. I don't use a CMM. Give me some more details and I might be able to help.

Danny Hughes

Cooper-Standard Automotive

Griffin GA

OPPIZ,

Actually, I disagree with the primary complaint – I want absolute manipulation and control of the workpiece once I bring this into Mastercam, or any cam product for that matter. wink.gif

Basically, who cares what Autodesk or anybody else does – the job of performing a translation should fall into my hands and responsibility; I do not want Mastercam to be codependent on any other software product (Ever) – This is a very positive feature; this is the shining feature that I prefer most, from Cnc Software.

I have been involved with Mechanical Desktop since version one; although I cannot consider the knowledge or ability a total waste – I am seriously considering a full abandonment for Solidworks- this is a very difficult transition. frown.gif

Regards, Jack

dlHUGHES

quote:

Give me some more details and I might be able to help.

This is somewhat hard to explain but I'll give it a try. Are CMM software reads MDT model in Iges from the folder that it's in. I cannot translate the model with my CMM. So when I bring the MDT file to the CMM The origin must be in the place where I want to inspect it from. Regardless where I have the origin in MDT the origin always come to center of part.

Yikes...If your CMM can't move the model in space, then its totally up to you to place the models zero point to the UCS 0,0,0? That could be a pain. Now, you could create a new botton on your toolbar that would move..all..from(pick a piont)...to 0,0,0. Cadence has a wonderfully simple artical this month that tell you how to write a lisp file for it. That would work also and just make it a little simpler for you. I'd be happy to write it or just check out the article

Danny Hughes

quote:

This is somewhat hard to explain but I'll give it a try. Are CMM software reads MDT model in Iges from the folder that it's in. I cannot translate the model with my CMM. So when I bring the MDT file to the CMM The origin must be in the place where I want to inspect it from. Regardless where I have the origin in MDT the origin always come to center of part.

The most common problem I see with MDT translation to IGES is attempting to translate from an Assembly file rather than a Part file. If the model you are trying to export is in an assembly file, the translation can do odd things. To verify the file type, check the browser panel. If you see a Scene tab, its an Assembly file. Use the catalog to externalize it and try the translation again.