Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SAVING AND VIEWING STL FILES

KMI

Hi,

I am trying to save one side of a part after it has been verified and then use it as the stock for the second side. Then I can see what the finished product will look like. Anyone out there know how to do this? Is there a way to send a customer a picture of the finished piece using any of the microsoft programs. ie paint or maybe photoshop? Thanks for the help

Kodiak Motorsports Inc.

Verify the part using true solids. After verification hit the button Save as STL file". After you have saved the stl file, go to file converters stl and xform file. This will allow you to manipulate the stl file and save it back as an stl file. Then you can load it up in verification and use it for the next operation. Good luck.

You can also save a "picture" of the part by going to "Screen", "Next Menu", and then "Clipboard". It will prompt you, asking if you want to save a partial by hitting enter, and then dragging your cursor (making a window) over what you want, or just press "Esc". After pressing "Esc" open Microsoft Paint, press "Edit" and then paste, and wala, you have a picture.

(As usual, a long winded answer, hopefully it helps!) cheers.gif

Thanks for the help. I can save the file but I need to flip it over and save it. I have tried to turn it over but I seem to be doing something wrong because I cant get it to work. I'll try the suggestion for printing off the picture. Thanks again.

Kodiak Motorsports Inc.

Transform the .stl as Marc Lindsey mentioned in his prior post.

quote:

After you have saved the stl file, go to file converters stl and xform file. This will allow you to manipulate the stl file and save it back as an stl file.

Then use that .stl as your "stock file" in verify.

you can also use the C-hook stlxform .dll as a way to transform the .stl to the secondary position. This is the way that I prefer. (fwit) I learned the techinque right here in this very forum! huzzah.

hth

-KLG

[ 12-17-2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Keith L. Graydon ]

I fully agree with James. I wanted to suggest that, but one, I understand in some situations it's easier not too, and two, it's just my opinion. But I will say this, I used to think it was pointless, and slow to program aprt complete using T/C Planes. But then I learned how to do it, what a difference, you should really try it!

where can one find said c-hook stlxform.dll?

I can't find it on either of our V8.1.1 or V9 sp1 machines. I tried importing the stl file to MasterCam and manipulating it but something I'm doing must be wrong. When I import the file into verify it locks up and good old Dr.Watson gives me that message that MasterCam is gonna close.

Thanks