Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help on graphics card selection

camtecmatt

Hi

I'm running MC8.1.1 on a 800mhz Mircon ClientPro which (UGGGHHHH) has integrated graphics on the mainboard....

I want to add a graphics card and micron suggested the NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX 400 64mb card only because it was listed as working well with my computer--BUT, his listing was fairly old and my compter is a year old.....

My questions are:

1. how does this card/chipset work w/mcam8.1.1, and

2. is there a better card (newer model) in the same family or another type/brand that would be better?

Any help would be much appreciated

THanks!!

I have a G Force 2 MX 400 in my home box and a G Force MX 440 at work both 64 meg...the one at work is better than the one at home. The concensus seems to be G Force 4 Ti 4400 and I think there are some older drivers on the FTP site that work to address the hidden cursor issue,

Hope this helps cheers.gif

Jim

[ 12-19-2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Jim Whipple ]

will the graphics card improve the speed that mastercam runs? right now, with large files (from 8mb on up) Mastercam slows down to a crawls pace. anytime i try to change something about the file, it literally takes 30sec to a minute to do it. The file i'm working on now is 27mb and it tends to lock up Mastercam all together. the 8mb files take 10 - 15 sec to do basic things like repainting the screen. I'm running Mastercam 8.1.1 on windows 2000 pro, 800mhz pentium 3, with an 18gb hard drive and 512mb RAM. my current video card is a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2Model 64 pro 32mb. Would changing to one of the afore mentioned cards help improve this?

thanks,

josh

If your card is waiting to render, your host may be ready so it can be a bottleneck. We do non contact optical CMM scanning here with Steinbichler equip, and our small VZ100 scanner has made us datasets with a few 100 million points. Yes, thats not a typo. Graphics here are very important. They are all fairly highend cards. We couldnt work with out them. I have seen systems wait several minutes to refresh/redraw after a simple pan, or rotate, he he...