Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Video Card

I'm running an Dell 733 w/256 ram, and a Riva TNT2 Model 64Pro video card. I'm having problems with the screen repainting after changing views, or using the right click menu, (the right click menu will leave that menu item on the screen 'til I pan or clear colors etc.) This video card was recommended for MC, but appears to be having trouble. I've installed the latest drivers, with no success. Is there a setting I haven't seen inside MC to help with this?

Thanks,

Matt

------------------

Obsticals are those things you see when you take your eyes off the goal...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

dogfartz is right, Riva's are gamer cards and cards that are good/great game cards are typically awful CAD/CAM cards because their requirements are different. Stay away from S3 or Diamond cards too.

Personally I prefer the Matrox Millenium G400 cards. They perform well in Win2k

James Meyette

This is just my opinion on video cards but

dont cut corners!!!!!!!!,if your dealing

with some in depth 3d surfaces & especially

solids dont get stingy when it comes to

getting a good video card,your prolly better

off to opt for a cpu thats 100mhz slower &

use that extra cash for a better card,you

could always bump the bus and cpu speed to

get that extra speed if need be,and stay away

from game cards...if your job is cad/cam what

use is say a ATI Radeon All in Wonder with

TV outs anyhow????????,im not endorsing any

brand but Elsa Gloria`s seem to really work

as do the 3d labs GVX series and there

predessor the GMX series,and there built with

this stuff in mind....just my 2 €èñt§

Trevor,

I believe we may have purchased the 64Pro not knowing it was a gaming card. (I did not realize it at first either..) Mayhaps we got that one thinking it would be better running at 64. I will look into it and see if we can get the right one.

Thanks,

Matt

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Most people, when they buy a PC don't think about the particular application that PC is going to be used for so they opt for a fast gaming machine. In most cases, a system built for gaming performs CRAPPY when used for CAD/CAM/CAE/FEA etc... Just because a card has 64MB RAM does not mean it will perform well under the strain of intense 3D modeling. I have a Matrox Millenium G400 16MB card that beats the tar out of MOST 32MB cards. It definitely pays to do a little bit of homework when getting a new system. Talk to your dealer, see what he's running on his machine, ask him why he picked it, etc...

JMHO

James Meyette

I realize the impact of using a Gaming card for CAD/CAM/CAE applications. I just started at this company, and am not quite clear on why they chose this card. Money is not an issue at all, they just want the best of what ever they get... in fact, I'm thinking they bought this card because (I would assume) it's more expensive and/or they were told it's better, but didn't specify that it's for a CAD system.

Heh, FukNRekd is actually my screen name in Half Life's TFC. It has more to do with 'wrecking' peeps in the game than a feeling of frustration. biggrin.gif

And of course, it will hold a different meaning this weekend; being the New Year and all... it may define my mental state at different times during the weekend! cool.gif

Matt(FukNRekd),

Before your new company started on there computer quest, I sent them a complete list of video cards that work & do not work with Mastercam. If you would like it again, let me know.

On the gaming side, I got the new "Unreal". You have got to see it!!! eek.gif

------------------

Trevor Bailey

www.sandiegomastercam.com

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

What chipset does the ATI Rage use?

The only known issue I'm aware of is in the S3 Chipset. There is an OpenGL bug that will only rear it's UGLY head when using CAD and or CAM Applications. They have no intention of fixing th bug because "gamers" do not experience this phenomenon. Kind of lets you know where we people that deal with REAL problems and issues stand in the scheme of things huh?

James Meyette

Is that a Radeon chip set,Radeons chip sets

are pure game cards,the previous ATI chip

sets you can ussually fix by dl`ing the

newest drivers,even though there still game

cards,no offense but ATI has got to be the

worst choice in video cards,your best bet

would prolly be to put that thing on E-Bay

so you dont got more problems in the future

with it,just my opinion though

Which Pro is that,the All in Blunder or Rage?

[This message has been edited by d0gFartz (edited 01-02-2001).]

Heh DELL and their graphics cards been there done that and solved the problem!

The problem with dell and their graphics cards is that they tend to write their own drivers for them and it seams that they have particular problems with the NVIDIA Chipset, of which the TNT2 belongs.

The solution is to go to the NVIDIA website and download a new driver from there, this is what I did after nearly a year of arguments with DELL and instantly solved all my problems

What's with all the ATI trashin'. I run MC7 & MC8 on Compaq Deskpro PIII 450s, WinNT 4 SP6 with ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X with only 8MB ram and have had no graphics problems with Mastercam. Granted dynamically rotating a complex shaded surface model can be a bit tedious, but it's nothing I can't live with. I don't know, maybe it's a Canadian thing, eh!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The older Rage cards have fewer problems than the newer ones. The problem (IMHO)lies with the Card Manufacturers and game developers deviating from the OpenGL Standard and doing their own thing. Currently the gamers are driving the market. Until we drive the market, we won't get satisfaction. Those billion frames per second cards don't help us at all.

James Meyette

• 2 weeks later...

"Who recommended a gaming card"

The sentence reeks of whine.

Would anyone be surprised to know that those silly games use far more of a 3d card's arsenal than Mastercam? Mastercam uses the most basic of 3d. Fogging? Multiple light sources? Mip-mapping? Trilinear filtering? Texturing? Bump mapping? Full screen anti-aliasing? Hmm, none of these. So the benefits reaped from buying a Quadro are quite small in comparison to the increase in price.

The GeForce is the *same chip* as the Quadro (The Gloria II uses the nVidia Quadro). Does anyone think that nVidia has enough money to develop two entirely different product lines, just to sell a few "high end" graphics chips?

They use the same approach as Intel (Xeon, Pentium III, Celeron are the same core), AMD (Athlon, Duron are the same core), and many other chip manufacturers.

"The Quadro2 MXR is an enhanced version of the GeForce2 MX featuring a 350MHz RAMDAC which will deliver a billion trilinearly-textured pixels/sec. The Quadro2 Pro is based on the workstation version of the GeForce2 GTS chip delivering 400 million texels/sec and 25 million triangles/sec running on a 350MHz RAMDAC."

source: http://www.maximumpc.com/content/2000/08/02/11698

2 things to consider:

1: It is generally wise to buy a less expensive version of a good chip, rather than the best version of a cheap chip (thus, avoid ATI).

2: If one does not want to spend the money on a Quadro, the GeForce is comparable.