Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T but you guys are soo good...

biss03

i'm sure you'll be able to help. after sitting on hold for well over a half hour waiting to talk to someone from microsoft, i've decided it was time to ask the real experts. I'm trying to install broadband internet service on my home pc running windows 98 second edition. i need to configure my connection but cannot. when i go to tools, internet options, connections, i need to click on the setup button to configure it to see the broadband connection. the problem it my setup tab is shaded (in other words i cannot click on it).what could be causing this and how can i fix it?

thanks,

josh

p.s. i've actually stumped our computer guy with this question so i figured it would be a good challenge for you all.

[ 01-03-2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: biss03 ]

yes. i've verified that i have a connection by "pinging" comcast (my broadband provider). i spent nearly 3 hours last night on the phone with comcast making sure everything was good. they eventually came to the conclusion that internet explorer is not configured to "see" the broadband connection. that is why i need to be able to get into setup. also, when i try to go thru the internet connection wizard thru start, programs, etc, i get a message saying i don't have the privelidges to do that.

biss,

i'll look at my home connection when i get there. Win98Se/Comcast also. It's rock solid btw.

meanwhile, your "connection" must be working if you can ping out. try pinging someboxes outside comcast network as you may only be hitting the gateway (network, not brandname). ping your ownself too. (localhost, 127.0.0.1) Try some ftp stuff if you've got an app for that. be sure that the divers for you nic are really installed properly. some 3com cards are notorious for seeming to be installed properly but aren't. go into device manager and look at the "network adapters section. Im sure all this will work for you but you should test it out anyway. 5 minutes max.

With all that said it probably is your browser config. you should be looking at the security/privacy/content tabs in the IE tools setup. turn them all down to minimun.

what ur ip? lemme try to ping u ok?

HTH

-ill check back l8r

-Keith

Are you going from a router to the box or straght in to the NIC card?

Are you trying to share with other computers?

If there is a router are you using a routher with a switch or a seperate switch or hub?

Do you have TCP/IP setup under your network connection?

Just a few thoughts to work thru.

thanks everyone for all the responses. unfortunately, i have no way to access the internet other than the connection i'm having trouble with. i'm using my work pc to put these questions on the forums. is there a way to update to v6 with out internet access? also, i received a response from a microsoft person on their community forum but i don't understand what they are saying. here it is:

1 ..... locked, 0 ..... adjustable by user

HKCUSoftwarePolicies Microsoft Internet ExplorerControl Panel

ConnectionsTab

can anyone make sense of this?

i'll be checking back monday a.m. hopefully i'll be able to get thru to their phone support today.

thanks all,

josh

quote:

i received a response from a microsoft person on their community forum but i don't understand what they are saying. here it is:

1 ..... locked, 0 ..... adjustable by user

HKCUSoftwarePolicies Microsoft Internet ExplorerControl Panel

ConnectionsTab

can anyone make sense of this?

1. Click on the Start button and then "Run".

2. Type regedit

3. Navigate to :

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoft Internet ExplorerControl Panel

4. In the right-pane, look for a DWORD Value called "Connwiz Admin Lock".

5. Double-click at and be sertain that it is a decimal value of 0.

6. Close regedit

7. Reboot.