Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TOOL NUMBERING PROBLEM

JS

I'M USING VERSION 8 AND HAVE ASSIGN TOOL NUMBERS SEQUENTIALLY UNCHECKED AS DEFAULT. MY PROBLEM IS WHEN I START TO ASSIGN TOOL NUMBERS, ONCE I ASSIGN T1 OR T2 IF I TRY TO USE SAY T11 OR T22 IT WILL NOT LET ME IT JUST HIGHLIGHTS T1 OR T2 AND I CAN'T FIND ANYWAY TO OVERWRITE IT WITHOUT DELETING T1 OR T2. I'AM SURE AS USUAL I'AM MISSING SOMETHING SIMPLE AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP. confused.gif

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 01-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 01-02-2001).]

IF I ASSIGN TOOL1 THEN TAKE ANOTHER TOOL THAT MIGHT BE T258 AND TRY TO RENAME IT AS TI2 AS SOON AS I ENTER 1 IT WILL SWITHCH OVER TO T1 AND WILL NOT LET ME MAKE A T12 UNLESS I DELETE THE T1. IF I WORK BACKWARDS NAMEING TOOLS SAY FROW 24 DOWN THERE IS NO PROBLEM BECAUSE T1 AND T2 WILL BE NAMED LAST AND THEY DO NOT GET CALLED UP WHEN YOU TYPE THE 1 DIGIT. I KNOW THIS IS A LITTLE CONFUSING TO UNDERSTAND, BUT I KEEP MY MACHINE LOADED WITH 25 TOOLS AND KEEP TRACK OF WHAT THEY ARE SO WHEN I MAKE A PROGRAM IF I NEED A CENTERDRILL THAT MIGHT BE MY T4 I WILL TAKE MASTERCAMS TOOL # FOR A 1/2 CENTERDRILL AND RENAME IT T4 AND SO ON. I NEED TO FIND A WAY SO THAT IF T1 AND T2 ARE USED TO TOGGLE THE FEATURE OFF THAT WILL GOTO AND HIGHLIGHT THAT TOOL IF YOU ARE TRYING TO TYPE IN A 2 DIGIT NUMBER TOOL STARTING WITH A 1 OR A 2.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP JOE

CYCLETIMECHARLES

I TRIED CHANGING THE TOOL NUMBER EVERY WAY POSSIBLE INCLUDING FROM THE TOOL PARAMETER PAGE BUT NOT FROM THE PAGE THAT YOU SAID THAT SHOWS THE HOLDER. I CHANGED THE TOOL NUMBER ABOVE THE V GROOVE AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY, YOU REALLY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, I WOULD HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN THAT SPOT TO PUT IN THE TOOL NUMBER. I'AM ALREADY THANKFUL FOR THIS BULLITINBOARD AND GUYS LIKE YOU.

THANKS A BUNCH JOE

From the "Read This First Before Posting a New Topic!" Announcement on the main Mastercam Forum page:

7. Using ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is the equivalent of yelling on the Internet. You *do* need to tape that Caps Lock key down for G-Code, but please untape it for this Forum.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh! eek.gif

Nice take CycleTimeCharles. biggrin.gif

Yes by all means a dialed post is a programmers best friend. Support your local dealer so he can dial your posts. cool.gif

James Meyette

Also - if your "Search tool library when entering tool number" is enabled in your job setup, whenever you enter a tool number in the operation parameter page that does not already exist in your current tool list (also displayed in the toolbar), the system will search your current default tool library for a tool matching this number. If one is found, it will be added to your tool list and will be assigned to your operation.

Most handy if you know the tool numbers already assigned in your tool library and they never of seldom change. Save you from right-clicking and selecting Tool #1 all the time.

If you're using 'dedicated tooling', i.e. mostly keeping the same tools in the same turret positions, mayhaps you should try setting up your own tool library for that particular machine. Sure makes it easy.

And it doesn't have to be complete... only the tools you use on that machine. (Of course, you'll want to back up your existing library if you're going to modify that instead of creating your own.)

Rekd