Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Scallop toolpath

JohnD

Does anybody know if its possible to keep a cut moving from the outside to the inside instead of it jumping from outside to inside. example: a 2 inch work piece with a half inch hole in the middle, when there is no hole, the toolpath will cut from the outside to the inside just fine but when there is a hole in the middle it jumps from the outside to the inside, is it possible to stop that from happening

Use the new(er) Blend toolpath - Surface Finish Project, then on the Finish project parameters tab select blend. You will need two chains for this toolpath. An inside and an oustide chain for the toolpath boundry. It will not jump from inside to outside like the scallop toolpath will, but start on one side and work its way in. This toolpath is very similar to the scallop, it allow you to set the stepover...

Along with marks suggestion set it for Blend then use Along 3D

Just so you know this will be alott like flowline in the tool path look but vary clean and much easer to control.

It does not do a spiral in path lile scallop.

[ 01-31-2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

This Blend 3D looks actally like what I need to use right now - I have a surface but want the tool to cut right up to the edge of the surface (flowline with containment).

I'm confused about the two required chains - the outside chain is clear enough - it's the containment boundry. How do I create the 'inside' chain to drive the toolpath..

Thanks in advance!

Kathy

Mark - Thats what would be logical to me - I have a rectangle step running along the top surface of my part. I want the tool to machine out the step to the surface (about -.050 deep from the top surface) and cut right up to the edge of the step, not have the tool c/l on the surface edge which violates into the top surface by 1/2 tool width. I also want to force the tool of the edge of the part (left / right).

I used the top and bottom partial chains as my inside/ outside chains, but the tool wasn't contained inside the boundry.

So I created more chains on offset them from the original by tool radii and reshot. It looks so-so ok in Mastercam, but I am getting errors in Vericut!

Kathy

I'll see if I can't get this posted on the ftp.

Thanks Jay! biggrin.gif

The pictures are located @

ftp://mastercam:[email protected]/Ma..._Jpg,gif,bmp's/

LJ CORE SETUP A PIC 1 & 2 .jpg

Mark is going to try and upload the file this morning.

The 5-axis moves seem to work well @ the Fadal (we've been cutting proof board).

I'm also having trouble getting a flat tool into the small edge area at the bottom of the part. I've got an operation to cut it with a ball but unfortunetly the part material will only machine with a flat tool!

Thanks to all! Kathy

BTW - Webby if you would like to move this to a new thread that would probably be approiate. This is a bigg project for me and all help would be greatly appreciated. You guys might find it intersting also!

Charles - Thanks for you reply...

How do I 'synce' the profiles?

By cranking up the blend - do you mean the Total Tolerance field?

Where is the setting for 'Along Cut Resolution'?

Next I want to post a pic from Vericut which clearly shows an excess of material left on the 'step cuts' along the top edge on the cuts! This is what concerns me.

Kathy

Go to the blend setting:

Set Cutting Method to Along 3D, Go to Blend, Set % of Stepover = 20%.

When you Chain, pick first on Sync. Lots of ways to sync profiles, but if both the outside and inside profile have the same number of entities, use By Entity.

Think of sync as matching entities on the two boundaries with each other. This can help produce a more symetric cut all around.