Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A couple of words to cherokeechief79

Fig sign

Cherokeechief79 !

I am looking over your articles quite a bit of time and am getting to the conclusion that you misunderstand a couple of things.

May be I am wrong but it looks like you think that you can do things easy way (to convert Mastarcam to another Smartcam).

No chance man!

Here rules the hard way.

Forget about Smartcam and start to learn things.

Read manuals ,books, help,RTFM in other words.

And start doing parts from the first day.

Now I hear the cry - BUT I DON`T LIKE AND UNDERSTAND MY POST !!!

To hell with the post ! If it is functional (

you don`t scrap parts or break machine because of it) you can change it afterwards and may be you will like it.

Only work will turn you to a good user.

Here the people hard working making parts all day full time and overtime molds ,aviation parts and so doing things I bet you never dreamed to do on your Smartcam and it making me bore to argue with you about Mastercam.

No one here is not obliged to do you nothing and here respects the hard work and williness to learn things.

You don`t want to use it?

Mastercam will stand this blow.

You want to use it ,then go the hard way.

thanks

thats how im going about it.ive figured how to get my geometry from one system to the other now without all of the toolpaths.

i am trying to forget my old ways and do things this way.

if some of my Qs seem out of line just lemme know.im a newbee here but ive been programming and machining for 25 yrs.

replies like this are just discouraging.

quote:

Ok, now

Hold your Win95 key down and press "R"

Now type "COMMAND" and press ENTER

Now type FORMAT C: /y and press ENTER

When if finishes processing all the files, turn off your computer, go to Mac Donalds, and ask for a resume, cuz you got NO business using MasterCAM.

HTH, Stupid

'Rekd

thanks,and lets get on with it! cheers.gif

Hey Chief,

Looks like you have learned you need to stroke the egos here if you want some help. Cut these guys and they bleed red - Mastercam Red so when you say there is a world outside or their boxes - they get a littl peeved and nervous. I went thru the same thing as you and now I am as capable in both packages. If you want to try another cam package - jump into Pro/E, there is an even larger learning curve where most of the learning is forgetting what you already know.

quote:

so when you say there is a world outside or their boxes - they get a littl peeved and nervous.

Peeved and nervous? You got it half right. Mayhaps you're referring to your own in-securities in the nervous department.

FYI, My "own little box" as you put it, includes things like, but not limited to;

CAM Systems:

Mastercam (including extensive post work)

Virtual Gibbs

GibbsCAD/CAM

Surfcam (only 2 years using this, thank God)

Cimitron

Bobcad

SmartCAM

CAD Systems:

SolidWorks

Cadkey

AutoCAD/Desk

SolidEdge

Other Systems:

Visual Basic and Basic

HTML and it's children; DHTML SHTML etc.

Java

CGI

And the list goes on... I've been around the block a time or 2, and things that are not "in my box" are not there because they've been taken out. Not because they've never been there in the first place. I'm not going to bash something I haven't taken the time to understand. (Unlike some others on this board).

Yes, there is a very broad world out there, and through my extensive experience I've found VERY FEW companies that can provide the excellence of product capability, service and support that you get when you buy Mastercam. (And SC is NOT one of them.) So when some fool comes off like MC is crap or sub-standard, yeah, it tends to bug me. (BTW, if Surfcam is so great, how come they're all but dead???)

So I would suggest to ANYONE posting on this board, that they show a little respect to the product and to the people that use it. This will reduce the risk of a bloody nose and hurt feelings.

I'm not the guy that's going out starting a bunch of fights, but when someone, as you put it; "cuts" me, I hope they're ready for the bleeding!

'Rekd

Rekd,

If you added catia, Pro E and hypermill you would have my list. but I can remember when the only tools a programmer had were a calculater,a pad of paper and a tape punch. So you of all people should understand the learning curve and all the frustration that goes with producing the most effeicent programs for your operaters.

Be thankful for all the tools, It was pure hell

without them. I know from experiance.

Tolerance always gets better results then intolerance.

fboike,

You're absolutely right.

I also started with a pencil and long math and have gone through MANY learning curves. I would not consider it hell, though. To me, learning anything is fun. And when I find something that works, I tend to back it 110%.

I may, (and often do), come off like an idiot at times, and have a short fuse, but it's mostly because I've done my time and paid my dues.

I will extend a limited apology to chief for remarks concerning his "right" to use Mastercam. But I will not back down from anyone that un-justly bashes anything I hold dear to my heart or to my career. (And for me, both are tied tightly together, as I STILL look forward to going to work every day.)

Cheif, with a little respect, and a lot of legwork, you will hopefully get the results you require. I honestly believe that if you give it a chance, you will actually charish Mastercam the way many of us here do.

'Rekd

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Cut these guys and they bleed red - Mastercam Red...

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

quote:

..when you say there is a world outside or their boxes - they get a littl peeved and nervous.

Well, ... peeved anyway. If I got nervous about new things that why on earth would I be a Mastercam Beta Tester???? And why would I anxiously be awaiting version 10? That's what I thought.

cherokeechief79,

I will also try to help as much as I can. I am a former Smartcam user and found all I can salvage from my model files is the geometry via the camcon.exe translator. I have a printout of my job plan so I can re-type in the tools. But you have to take the geometry and start over in Mastercam. Oh well - life gives you lemons, start a lemonade stand!

Kathy