Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Conventional then Climb

Slick

Just curious if anyone has a file with a good approach at doing a climb, and then a conventional cut on the edge of a part. My situation is cutting some extrusion. A conventional cut for the rough cut doesn't "tear" and "scream in" the material. So I've been doing a conventional rough, and then a climb for finish reasons. What I want to do is have my conventional operation to start at a clearance plane, plunge, make the cut, but then stay down to perform the climb cut, and then, and only then move back up to the clearance plane. I usually just hand edit the code, I've tried a couple of different settings, but without the result I'm looking for.

Is it just me?

And wouldn't that be a nice feature on contour, to do a conventional and then a climb in the same operation? (Or do I just not know about it?)

I don't kn ow how complicated your geometry is, but you can offset your chain by the radius of your cutter. When chaining, select chain-partial, then turn "wait" to yes. By doing this, over-lap your "single" chain. Note that you will have to turn comp to off and you will need to decide whether you want to use lead in/out or not. Because even if you turn comp to off and leave lead in/out on, depending on the LEFT or RIGHT setting for you chain, the lead in/out may gouge your part.

You will have to manually edit the comp codes in if you need it.