Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling Partical Board/MDF

OOZ662

I'm unsure of what I can do to keep my cutters happy (and alive) in this stuff. I don't have any real experience, so help is greatly appreciated.

I'm using a Techno DaVinci with stepper motors. The facts sheet says I ought to be able to run up to 94.5 IPM feed speeds and the 600W spindle varies from 8000 to 24000 RPM, but it's controlled by a colored dial so I can't really get an accurate assumption on the speed. I'm cutting with two flute 1/4" Onsrud 40-107 bits.

I generally ran MDF with a 3 flute upcut or compression cutter at 18,000 - 24,000 RPM at 400-700IPM. Been known to push it faster, but that was the ballpark on a Komo. On my Thermwood 3 axis I run the same tool but 300-500IPM. Vortex makes some very nice tools that last quite a long time at these speeds and feeds. I have used a 4 flute tol, but prefer 3 flute. Faster feed rate is better. Much less heating time on the tool.

We quit using MDF because of the tool wear. But I agree with Robert, Vortex tools are the best if you can afford them. The powers that be here are too cheap to buy them so I have to make do with inferior tools. I suggest you try several passes. It's a longer process but it may help with wear.

quote:

We quit using MDF because of the tool wear

BrintC , what kind of tool wear are you seeing and how long do you expect a tool to last?

We cut MDF and PB all day , every day with 1/2" tools @approx. 10-18k rpm feeding from 200-500ipm with no adverse tooling issues.

On the bigger pockets, they're ramped in and cut in either three .1" passes or two .15" passes, depending on the shape. I managed to get about 75 IPM today and it's doing much better. Still browning the bit quite a bit, but it'll do for the run. Suggestions still appreciated, though. =)

• 2 weeks later...

CH, We do custom cabinet parts and dado's have to be precise. Also in perimeter bits,as they dull, when they take a slow winding path or tight corner the friction and heat cause a smoldering coal to emerge.And in a shop that was devastated by fire once already,smoke is a good way of getting an unwanted extinguisher blast.Our bits generally last about a month between changing. Running about 70% of a 10/hr day,4days a week.

I guess I should be thankful they last as long as they do.