Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

spinning turning tools?

sounded like chatter. would be interested in finish quality,or is this just for roughing? I have used groove-turn tooling from kennametal on ti-6al-4v with great success. But turning the od in a single direction away from the spindle I don't see how this tool would be more ridged and stable than a good turning insert.

What I have read is with the right tool it is more rigid because it transfer load back into the turret. There is a much better video of it on youtube from Esprit. They are working with Mori on developing toolpaths for this kind of tool. I just didn't want to post a video from Esprit here. I also read that because the tool is spinning you can run a higher sfm without burning up prematurely.

I don't know what material that is, but the grooving tool was singing, so I am guessing it is something hard. They state that is works better for 'hard materials' so I doubt they're looking at aluminum. We turn stainless at .150DOC .012 or .014 per rev with CNMG 432 tools pretty easily, so unless they can up the surface speed somehow with that tool I am not sure exactly where the benefits come in, particularly where you can't turn to a shoulder like that. The spindle sounded like it was ripping in that video for sure.

C