Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

lost config file?

Marshal

I just uninstalled and reinstalled X5, and now it appears that I've lost my config file or something. When I start x5 I get an error saying "Warning - error opening C:\users\...\documents\mymcamx5\config\mcamxm.config, followed by a warning about the user-specified startup config file not being available, then the same warning about not being able to open the config file, then a warning about not being able to open MASTERCAM.kmp.

I've tried uninstalling twice, but that doesn't seem to fix it. I'm not changing anything in the install location, it just seems like the installer isn't reinstalling the config file or something.

Anyone have any help for me? :)

edit: looks like I've lost all the preset toolbars as well...this is kind of annoying

are you logged in under the same username as when you installed..

did you check only me or all users during install..

the config file will be in the My Documents folder of whatever username is logged onto the compter.

If Mastercam can't see that My Documents folder ( or it doesn't exist) you're going to have problems

as a beta site I've installed and unistalled a dozen times or more and my config , toolbar and rmb files

were always there when I reinstalled.. I think this is some sort of username issue

are you logged in under the same username as when you installed..

did you check only me or all users during install..

the config file will be in the My Documents folder of whatever username is logged onto the compter.

If Mastercam can't see that My Documents folder ( or it doesn't exist) you're going to have problems

as a beta site I've installed and unistalled a dozen times or more and my config , toolbar and rmb files

were always there when I reinstalled.. I think this is some sort of username issue

I had it set for all users. It is possible that I entered a different username though, or that the files got deleted.

If the files were deleted, is there a way to get them back?

every username on the machine will have a stock copy in their My Documents folder

and I'm the only user on this machine.

Like I said, if that folder has been deleted, is there a way to get it back? It looks like it's the "my mcamx5" folder that's missing from my user file, and the "shared mcamx5" folder is apparently missing from the public user file

search your computer for *.MMD-5 ( an X5 machine defintion)

if you find any, you'll probably find your missing my mcamx5 folder

That looks like it did it! It was in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\mcamx5\common\UserDefaults" folder. I just copied the config folder into a folder I name "my mcamx5", and it looks like that worked.

Thanks for your help!

same prolem when uninstalled and reinstalled X5, and now it appears that I've lost my config file or something. When I start x5 I get an error saying "Warning - error opening C:\users\...\documents\mymcamx5\config\mcamxm.config, followed by a warning about the user-specified startup config file not being available, then the same warning about not being able to open the config file, then a warning about not being able to open MASTERCAM.kmp

search your computer for *.MMD-5 ( an X5 machine defintion)if you find any, you'll probably find your missing my mcamx5 folder

same prolem when uninstalled and reinstalled X5, and now it appears that I've lost my config file or something. When I start x5 I get an error saying "Warning - error opening C:\users\...\documents\mymcamx5\config\mcamxm.config, followed by a warning about the user-specified startup config file not being available, then the same warning about not being able to open the config file, then a warning about not being able to open MASTERCAM.kmp

Do what gcode said. Find that file, and take the folder that contains all of them (the 'CONFIG' folder), put it in a new folder named "mymcamx5", and put that in your "My Documents" folder.

That should fix the problem, it worked for me.