Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT/ Pet peaves

Tony

Jack,

Should you happen to find yourself in the fine state of Pensylvania, please stop by. I have numerous sanity restoration projects which you can partake in. Just bring your gratuitous smile and a healthy supply of shop rags. biggrin.gif

Dave

Yes I have a life beyond Mastercam (it just doesnt seem like it at teh moment. smile.gif

[ 05-17-2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monitor #1.

A solution: Take a plastic pen and remove the internal parts. Write on a label, in red

POINTER

and wrap the label around the pen. Tie a string to the pen, and tape the string to the monitor so it hangs to the side of the screen.

Whenever anyone comes in, say "Please use the pointer". After a while most people will catch on.

If they forget, give them the monitor cleaner and a rag that you keep close at hand. Don't say anything, just smile. Let them clean the monitor. They will remember the next time.

chris m

I was thinking of your post on page 1 yesterday. Had some new prototypes running on the mills last week. Nasty parts, super tight tolerances titanium, deep small tapped holes .0002 runouts, 16 and 8 surface finishes all over the place.

Anyhow I reviewed the mill progs with our setup guy. We were milling edge breaks every where we could. I told him be careful cause on op 2 you need like 2" of projection for the long chamfer cutter where as on op 1 you dont. If you want to choke up on the chamfer cutter on op 1 we can add another tool or you will have to reset the tool for op 2. "NO PROBLEM".

Job ran great everyone is happy. Yesterday I go in QC and there is a part with a red tag on it. I pick it up...

Qty: 1

Comments: .700 Dia. Barrel Undersize.

I look at the part there is a 5/16" deep x 3/4" gauge that looks like a woodruff key seat rubbed into the part by ... you guessed it... a collet nut for the chamfer tool. So I go and bust stones with the setup guy.

Me: "Undersize" .... WTF is that ??? confused.gif

Him: I measured it and it was undersize ... UNDERSIZE ! any more questions ? rolleyes.gif

Me: No nice job have a nice day biggrin.gif

Customer brings in a job.

Do you have a print?

-No, just this sample.

What tolerance on all the sizes?

-Just make it like the sample. It's not critical.

So this 1/4 hole here, how close does it need to be?

-Make it 1/4.

So its ok if it is .01 over.

-no, make it 1/4.

So, .001 over is ok?

It doesn't have to be that close.

So, .005 over is ok?

-Cant you just make it like the sample?

So, if I measure the hole at .253 is .253 +-.0000001 ok?

-Yes.

How about .253 +-.001?

-Cant you just make it like the sample.

#I actually have a customer like this, and he wants it cheap too. However, if it does not fit, then he wont pay.

Andy, that is a classic. ROTFLMAO biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I made a lot of molds in my career, some I made good money on, some not so good. But I always lost money on the ones where the customer says - "We don't need a drawing, I just want the parts to look like this sample. OK?"

Thanks for a good laugh. cheers.gif

ever got a drawing on a brown paper grocery bag from a local cabinet shop from the plant manager who promised the 15 parts could be picked up in three hours.One and a half of which were lost while brown paper bag laid on his desk.I think the guys down stairs think you just show the machine the drawing and it makes it.All the mills and profiles you'll ever need are already in the machine.

quote:

I made a lot of molds in my career, some I made good money on, some not so good. But I always lost money on the ones where the customer says - "We don't need a drawing, I just want the parts to look like this sample. OK?"

Or the ones were youv'e got all of the cavities finished ready for polishing and they realize they gave you the wrong product design and they are to big.So you get to make them again but you have to meet the same delivery.

mad.gif Noel

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People you work with that don't mind seeing you screw something up to make themselves look better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be the kid with 2 or 3 years behind them they can do it all with YOUR HELP.They know every thing you do because they are looking over your sholder 24-7 with a knive in both hands.

They kiss xxxx that is why the are perfict.

Managment's notion that all you need is "a $10 per hour "computer geek" to type stuff in the software and get you the computer code for the machine just like that" eek.gifeek.gif . One manager actually tried to get the president of the company to buy into this stupid @$$ mentallity mad.gif Thank God that he was laid off, the position NEVER refilled and we got MasterCam biggrin.gif . Amazing how much more productive we are getting and how much money we have saved since his departure cool.gif !

quote:

That would be the kid with 2 or 3 years behind them they can do it all with YOUR HELP.They know every thing you do because they are looking over your sholder 24-7 with a knive in both hands.

This was the guy I worked with who never bought tools -just borrowed everyone elses.

My revenge started the day I left that shop... -No more sugar-xxxx for him!!!!!!