Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT/ Metacut or Cimco?

We are looking into a DNC and backplot program, finally, and I was wondering on anyones opinions.

Which is a better buy? Cimco Edit or MetaCut?

We are looking for backplotting on Mill and Lathe programs and also if it can estimate the run time. I see from the MetaCut demo it will check the run time but not for lathe it seems. I get like 21hrs for a 4min part.

For the $100 difference between them what do you get for it?

Thanks in advance.

I weighed the options myself about two weeks ago. With Cimco, what sold me on the deal, was the support they offer. They have a way of getting into your DNC remotely through the internet and being able to fix your problems. Tht in itself is HUGE. The fact that MC has a lite version of Cimco in its interface tells you right there that it will integrate with little problems.

That being said I signed the PO last week, it hasnt been installed yet so I cant be to descriptive, cuz I dont know how it will work. I went with Cimco!

for what its worth... cheers.gif

I had 2 guys in here first thing this morning from Services 4 Automation (my Mastercam / CIMCO reseller) working on a (small) glitch in the way Cimco and my network are talking to each other. The things that make this a big deal to me are:

1) I only called them about this yesterday afternoon.

2) They are an hour drive from me

3) It is not like I am in a huge company (like you are, Brent) where they would say "better run over there before they buy their next 20 seats from somebody else."

I am really a booster for these guys because of the way they support their product; just look at how many times Anthony Graves from CIMCO has posted (detailed) instructions for forum members to help them solve their problems.

Please, this post is not, in an way, a jab or slam directed toward the MetaCut people because I know nothing about their product or service; just my enthusiastic backing of CIMCO Integration.

C

[ 05-02-2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

First, I currently use Cimco for my DNC and editor.

Mainly because it is included in MC V8.1. (I have not got the other boss talked into V9.1) mad.gif

It does fine for my needs as a editor and DNC to the machines. Easy to use and configurable for each machine.

I have not used their backplot or full DNC, as it is a upgrade. I would assume, (Bad word!), that their upgraed package is just as good and easy to use. smile.gif

The main reason I am repling is more for my experiance with "MetaCut".

I down-loaded their trial version from their web site, since everyone was talking about it being included in V9.1. And the verify function would be nice for our machines, we even had been talking about this for sometime.

Since we run kind of odd code in the Dynapath controls we have - and no one else - I have seen - even claims to read Dynapath code. Thought I would give it a try. smile.gif

MetaCut does read my code and from what I saw in their demo version, I liked, and we will buy the full version when we upgrade MC.(Soon confused.gif !) It is really inexpensive, compared to some I have seen!

One last thing - there is one small problem with one type of code for the Dynapaths and MetaCut. The drilling codes in paticular.

But as I found this and E-mailed them about the problem - Bill Elliott at MetaCut - called me - they were unaware of the problem - he offered some tips for using MetaCut - and had me send some pages from our manual for the problem code, so they could fix it. Even said he would notify me when they got the fix included in a future update.

Very nice person to deal with - knows a great deal about his product - and is willing to help!

Since I am dealing with odd code - that kind of service is what I like and I will support!

Very Nice Price - for what you get! biggrin.gif If that means anything now-a-days?!

I think it all depends on personal taste, on how well you like certian software.

But then again - what do I know?

Mark A.

Brent,

Thank you for your interest in CIMCO Edit. Couple of things...

1. CIMCO Edit OEM for Mastercam includes communications. A seperate communications appliaction utilizing the CIMCO Edit "ports and configurations" is also included. CimcoDNC, the later, will work from within Mastercam. (Go to Screen > Configure > Start/Exit tab and select CimcoDNC in the Communications drop down box.) To edit the communications parameters for CimcoDNC go to the Communications tab and click the Settings... button. You may also choose to use the communications built into CIMCO Edit OEM, which ever is more convenient.
  2. Backplot for Mill (3D) and Lathe (2D) is available as part of the $250 upgrade to Pro(fessional Edition). Download the full version from our website and try it out. Note: It will not effect the OEM version you may be currently running.

Regarding MetaCut... many of our resellers also sell MetaCut and it is a fine product. The truth is that both products have advantages in different areas. Try them both out and see what you like. I know the guys at Northwood Designs, makers of MCU, are very responsive and support oriented so you can't go wrong with either product.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to contact us anytime.

PS Thanks to both Paul, Chris, and Mark. We appreciate your support.

[ 05-03-2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Anthony Graves ]

quote:

We are looking into a DNC and backplot program, finally, and I was wondering on anyones opinions.

You state that you are looking into DNC and Backplot program.

Key word here,DNC.

Last I knew,Metacut program does not support DNC.

So that leaves me to believe that cimco would be the choice,unless you want to buy (2) seperate programs. wink.gif

Everyone is sort of right about us and DNC. We don't have built-in DNC, but we do work well with other DNC packages via our "Send To" menu. As a matter of fact, it works very well to setup CIMCO Edit OEM for that purpose, and you get both our backplot and CIMCO communications, which is a good combination and all built into Mastercam 9.1.

Anthony,

Can CimcoEdit tell you the runtime of a program from the NC code? And if so does it do it for Mill and Lathe?

We are currently using the OEM Cimco that comes with MC. But like I stated we are now looking for a backplotter too.

The $250 OEM upgrade is to update the existing Cimco provided with MasterCAM? Or do you have to pay the $500 for the full Pro version?

Thank you all for the input!!

cheers.gif

Brent,

Just out of curiousity, what is wrong with the Mastercam backplot and time estimation? For the parts we run, I have found the times to be reasonably accurate and you can tweak the parameters a little in your post to suit your liking.

romer

Romer,

We want to get it for the programs that are just hand written/typed. Some of the ppl still program the long way by hand or just revise existing programs manually and they want to see the result prior to running. Also to be able to open the mc posted nc files on the floor and look at the end result of the file.

I've made an Access db to basically log all the programs, tells the program number, points to the nc file so they can launch the file to transfer it, print number, etc. But the computer doesn't have mc on it so they can't look at the program. So the be able to see the files toolpaths before running is just a plus for the operators.

Also one more note. Does either Cimco or Metacut work for Wire paths? I tried one in the Metacut and it doesn't like a 4-axis wire program at all. It ignores the UV axis moves.

cheers.gif

Brent,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Couple of quick responses:

1. Upgrade - $250 includes backplot; 3-Axis 3D Mill, 2-Axis 2D Lathe
  2. 4-th Axis Support- not currently
  3. Wire Support - depends on what you are looking for, shoot a sample file to [email protected] and we'll take a look and reply
  4. Cycle times - not currently but...

If I missed something I'll repost later. Swamped... Hope this helps.