Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis, tool Plane/approach change?

Buddy J

First the bad news…..The machine in question is a CMS ARES router, NOT the Milling

center my idiot boss thinks it is.

That said, how the heck do I get a toolpath to run in, say, the front view, with the tool/B axis @ 90. deg.s?

Up until recently, the only 5 axis programming I’ve done is drilling, with a trunnion.

The 8 hours I spent with my MC reseller being trained in 5 axis programming has gotten my foot in the door and I’ve managed to muddle through a few jobs but I can’t get anything I’m trying to work.

I’ve attached a shot of a simulation of the part I’m attempting to do with the bounding box representing the material. (Aluminum 6061) The flange will eventually be about 1.750” thick as this will be a lay-up mold. What I’d like to do is approach it from the front

and use surface/ rough/ pocket to clear away the meat to just beyond c/l then do the same from the rear.

I may be using the wrong approach but if so I can’t believe the only option is to extend tools out a mile and come in from the top.

Due to my naiveté and inexperience in 5 axis I’m not sure what my options for material removal of this type may be with the limitations of the Machine.

Any advice would be much appreciated

The cms aries is a very nice machine, but as you stated, not a machining canter. If you have air blast you can rip thru some aluminum though.

Does it have the fanuc control or the osai control? Usually the aries has the fanuc on it, just making sure.

Inorder to machine it the way you want to just click on t/cplane at bottom of screen and set to "Front". Then you can use any 2/3 axis path you want just like you always have.

Note: All 5 axis paths need to be programmed from top cplane as a general rule.

Have you thought of using the "tilt" option in surfacing ?

This can allow you to shorten your tool build, and at the same time keep the tool holder & spindle head away from the part

you could, for example, use a tapered endmill ( say 15° side angle ) use a tilt of 15°, and rough machine it from the T-plane=TOP. stepdown would need to be less than the taper flute length

.........Does it have the fanuc control or the osai control? Usually the aries has the fanuc on it, just making sure.

Inorder to machine it the way you want to just click on t/cplane at bottom of screen and set to "Front". Then you can use any 2/3 axis path you want just like you always have.

Note: All 5 axis paths need to be programmed from top cplane as a general rule.

That did the trick Jimmy, thanks!

For whatever reason I was changing the WCS to front and expecting this result..DUH!

It used to be a pleasant surprise when I picked up, ie: learned, something new on a day-to-day basis, not the necessity it has now become!

It's a Fanuc 31i-A5 and for what it is, yeah, is a real fine machine. 4818, so large work envelope also, which is why we got it, to do large composite radoms and structures. But right away, every large job that comes across the quote desk, these guys say yeah, we can do that. Writing those same ole checks that I have to cash except now, I'm out of my comfort zone, at least until I get a whole bunch more experience but hey, they put out the $$$ for the machine, they did their part!

Thanks again