Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OKUMA MAX TOOL LENGTH

We have an Okuma LB300 EX Space Turn with OSP-2000l control. I know the max tool length for live tooling in the vertical position is 4.5" (don't ask HOW I know).

My question is this, Is there a parameter or variable to set so i can have the machine alarm out if i touch the tool off and the offset is >4.5" ??

Thanks in advance!

LOL Let me guess how you know this.

Do you want the check code to come out of the post or use the machine G/M codes?

This will work for Tool 1. But you really need to check this when the tool is measured. Do you have an auto touch setter

G00 X800 Z300 T010101

IF [VETFX GT 4.5]NER01

GOTO N100

NER01

VUACM[1]='TOOL TOO LONG'

VDOUT[992]=1001

N100

M02

I have never needed a G or M code macro in the lathe, to be honest; we have many user task operations running in our programs and some of them could probably be incorporated into a G or M code macro, but I never really thought about it. We have manual touch-setters, so this wouldn't help us combat the issue you face, but with an auto touch setter it's nice to have the added functionality of "IF VTOFX[01]GT 4.50 NALM1" written into the program. That being said, you must call a sub or something for the machine to touch the tool off; why not just write the IF statement into the sub?

We use ALOT of custom Macro programs in our lathes and Millturns. Everything from sending the machine to "home" position to custom drilling and milling cycles, probing cycles and even boring jaws and collets! B)

im also trying to keep everything the same across many machines. I need the same operator to run several different machines. I need "G205" (machine Home and clears out tool changer) to be the same on all machines.

Totally agree with you, Greg; this is the point I have been trying to get across. If you have the manual touch setter you could possibly buy custom software from Okuma that would interrogate the TOFS register after the machine touches the tool off to generate an alarm, but I don't see how G/M code macros are going to help here.

C

I have never actually seen a machine with that option; how does it work? Do you use it during program operation for tool breakage detection? Do you have a "touch off tools" program? If so, how does the machine know where the tool is to touch it off? Do your guys not touch off manually? Even if they don't, when they're loading tools in the machine they could still clean the sheetmetal out with an overly long tool before the machine "knows" how long the tool is. Could you preset instead? The tool crib guy would then know if the tool was too long before it ever got to the machine, but you'd need quick-change live tools for that.

C

• 2 weeks later...

Not so sure how to do it on an OSP, but on Fanucs and Yasnaks we interrogate our tool length offsets at the beginning of each program be it Mill or Lathe.

seems to me that you want to detect a long tool before you index the turret.

in a nutshell:

begin loop.

Start w/ the system variable to tool 1's offset

compare it to the max length

if less or equal, continue

if more, trip alarm

update loop counter variable +1

back to top of loop, this time it will look at tool 2's offset..

etc.

We do this to look for decimal place typo's. (operators key in the values from the presetters.)

Same idea can be used to determing a safe index position for a lathe/millturn.

This time use the loop to determine the longest tool, add a half inch (or so) to that,

convert to machine coordinates, store that value in a common variable, then G00Z(variable) for safe index.

Applications for macro programming are endless IMHO

cp