Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D help and which operation to use

Alrow

Hey guys,

Here I am again asking for help. For the most part I'm catching on fairly well but the one thing I've never really done is 3D work. I've been playing around with several different parts but with no success, only frustrations. I've attached a image of a part I'm doing on my 5 axis mill/turn and I've been trying to do some so called "simple 3D work". Please keep in mind that I really have no experience with surfacing and some detailed help would be appreciated. Also, if someone could suggest a way to learn surfacing I would be very interested in knowing how.

In this image I'm wrap contouring the entire cylinder and leaving material around the boss. I would like to use MCX to finish the vertical walls and blend the internal radius to the floor of the cylinder, if that makes sense. Once I figure that out I plan on incorporating NC code from MCX and merging it with my Esprit file (no 3D for Esprit:.... :angry: ). Not the most ideal way but up into this point we haven't found a need for it on our multi-axis lathes. Most of our work with the mill/turns has been indexing type of stuff. I'm hoping with me learning Mastercam I'll have the best of both worlds.

Thanks again for the help and your time is appreciated. I'll keep on searching through the forum to see if I could find related topics.

post-40121-0-23639200-1300244158_thumb.png

For the walls of the rectangular feature there are a couple of ways to go..

The easiest way would be to create a 2D toolpath that cuts the rectagular shape , the projected in onto the round surface

of the part..

If you have the multiaxis option, you could use 5X swarf..

using 2 chains as drive curves and the round surface as a comp surface

For the walls of the rectangular feature there are a couple of ways to go..

The easiest way would be to create a 2D toolpath that cuts the rectagular shape , the projected in onto the round surface

of the part..

If you have the multiaxis option, you could use 5X swarf..

using 2 chains as drive curves and the round surface as a comp surface

Thanks G, but unfortunately I don't quite understand what you mean by projecting the the cut onto a round surface. The most I've done with projecting is engraving onto a cylinder. If it's not too much trouble would you mind going into a little bit more detail on how I might achieve this.

Oh yeah, multiaxis isn't an option for me.

Thanks again guys.

Create a 2d toolpath with a ball endmill that runs around the rectagular feature

Then

Toolpaths

Surface Finish

Project... you will be asked to choose a surface.. select the cylinder

On the Surface Project Parameters page select the NCI button and choose

you 2D operation from the right window.

You have to play with the setting in the 2D and 3D operations to get exactly what you what.

Be sure to turn posting off on the 2D operation before you post.