Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCX 5 Tool ManAger issue TOOLS-5BUP FILE ?????

Gramby

Is their a bug with Mill X5 ToolManager? I have been trying to copy a tool from one tool library to another and it will not show up. Two of us at work are having issues with it not working. It all started when we were trying to copy a metric tap from library to another for some metric jobs we have in process. After copying it, the software thinks it is their but visually it is not seen. If you go to copy it again it gives you a warning asking to overwrite the existing. Well sorry but their is no tool already their to be seen. Rebooted Mastercam and still no results.

The strange thing is I now have a file in my tools folder that has a funky extension I have never seen. tools-5bup Yes a BUP on the end. What the hell is this file. It seems to have gotten created when copying a tool from one library to another.

Anyone know what is going on? Thanks

Here's one I've run into.

1. Your Machine Def ( imported from X4) has a path to a tool library

that does not exist

2. When you load that machine def into a Mastercam file, the Machine Def

creates a new empty tool library.

3. You can't save tools to this library and can't get any tool out of it

cause its empty.

The solution is to change the path in your Machine Def to a real

library.. and find and delete to bad empty library.

Here's one I've run into.

1. Your Machine Def ( imported from X4) has a path to a tool library

that does not exist

2. When you load that machine def into a Mastercam file, the Machine Def

creates a new empty tool library.

3. You can't save tools to this library and can't get any tool out of it

cause its empty.

The solution is to change the path in your Machine Def to a real

library.. and find and delete to bad empty library.

Is this assuming that you have modified the default tool library for that specific machine def? Ive had so many problems with the tool libraries in X5 that it would be nice to finally find a solution.

I opened a few X4 files in to X5 and the paths updated to include the new version of the same library.

I dont modify the default libraries and/or locations in the machine def files. I built libraries for a couple of our machines but have been afraid to modify the defaults. Every time I decide to start modifying default paths etc it always seems to cause me problems when I upgrade to a new version of Mastercam.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

So far, the dozen or so libraries I've used/created/dealt with have not had any issues. In beta... that was another story, but that was long ago. :D

Copying tools from one library to another, etc... all good.

Also, when a new version/release comes out, I dump the older version/release. I archive the libraries, posts, tools, VB scripts, etc... for import when/if necessary.

Is this assuming that you have modified the default tool library for that specific machine def?

No.. If you update an X4 Machine Def, the library path is not changed by the update process..

so the path to the tool library still leads back to your old X4 tool library folder.

The first time you use your new X5 machine def it looks in your old X4 folder

for a MILL_INCH.TOOLS-5 file..

It can't find one.. so it makes an empty one.. and things go down hill from there

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you update an X4 Machine Def library path is not changed by the update process...

Ah ha!!! That's why I've not had troubles... after a new version/release, I go into my MD/CD and update all the paths before I do anything.

My tool library has been updated from X4 and many versions previous yes. Time to get home today. I will read this over more carefully tomorrow and see what I can do. I noticed no one made a comment about what a .tools-5bup file is. A standard tool libarary extension should be .tools-5 should not have the bup. Mastercam created that file when I tried to copy a tap from one tool libaray to another. It gave me two tool libary files witht he same name but different file extensions.

No the problem is not related to the filter being on. I wish it was that easy. Thanks

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

No the problem is not related to the filter being on. I wish it was that easy. Thanks

I always ask the easy questions first. It never hurts. I can't find any *bup files anywhere on my system.

No.. If you update an X4 Machine Def, the library path is not changed by the update process..

so the path to the tool library still leads back to your old X4 tool library folder.

The first time you use your new X5 machine def it looks in your old X4 folder

for a MILL_INCH.TOOLS-5 file..

It can't find one.. so it makes an empty one.. and things go down hill from there

I never went in and updated any of my Machine Def files manually. I opened every one of them and they are all pointing to the correct location. I will definitely keep this in mind for future installs.

In fact, I even went in to the control def's and made sure that all of those locations were correct as well. They are all pointing to the correct folders.

All of my machine defs were pulled in from X4. I do not use any of Mastercams default MD files.

Even with the correct location my imported libraries have been troublesome. I havent had any problems with Mastercams libraries. Only Custom libraries.

So far, the dozen or so libraries I've used/created/dealt with have not had any issues. In beta... that was another story, but that was long ago. :D

Copying tools from one library to another, etc... all good.

Also, when a new version/release comes out, I dump the older version/release. I archive the libraries, posts, tools, VB scripts, etc... for import when/if necessary.

Are all or some of the tool libraries imported from older versions of X? If I create a new library, and I have actually found a work around to my problems and my libraries work fine now but it was a pain figuring it out, i do not have any issues at all. It is only when I import a library from older versions. The libraries appear to work fine until I start trying to add, copy, delete tools.

When you import those older libraries to X5, are you using the update folder method of updating these libraries to X5?

Sorry James, I dont mean to ask what may seem like dumb questions, but I am not the only one that has had issues with this so if there is something that was missed it may help to solve the problem.

I had this issue with updating old tool libraries from x4 using the File, update folder utility.. I have lots. New tools especially custom tool don't show just as every one says. I actually found the custom tools I was creating in the .db file..

The file update utility works better than copying old libs and putting them in new folders. It's all in the documentation that came with x5. I prefer a book!!!!! not the pdfs.

My reseller gave me a quickie; Go to the tool library manager, open the up updated tool lib *.tool-5 and save it to different name maybe add x5 to the name. Then try importing and making custom tools in it via the tool manager not in operations. Should work fine not withstanding the other good work arounds.

Now creating custom tools in x5 lathe? that's a thread coming to a board near you.

Yep, me too......and all the paths in config-files. Thats why it takes me damn near 1/2 day for a new install!!

Are you guys using the default paths or custom?

When I first started using X I customized most of my paths to run off of the server. Once I realized that I was going to have to modify so many paths with each new version of MC I quit doing it and started letting Mastercam make my decisions for me. Now I just back up the files using a batch file and luckily I am the only one using MC in our shop.

Using all default paths except for the part file locations, all of my paths are correct in X5.

I don't think it matters where the tool libraries are, x5 still freaks out

I save a copy on the server and local because I tweak the local copy first the copy to server for every one else.

Save as works good I have a lib for every material we use with 20 or so tools in each. Same for Lathe.

Russh,

I havent been able to find a rhyme or reason to the problem. It would just be nice to figure out what is causing it. If we have people telling us that they have several tool libraries converted from earlier versions of X and are not having any problems then there must be something that they are doing different or........ ?

My tool libraries have been updated with each release since Ver9. Have never had trouble in the past adding and modifying my libraries till now in MCX5. Very annoying. Cant even add a tap to my library. These are very extensive very long detailed tool libraries that a person would never want to spend days recreating from scratch new.

My Machine/Control definations are being directed to the proper location. I can create programs using these libraries just fine. I just cant add new tools to the libraries. Although I can modify old tools.

What is the solution? Surely dont want to carry over this issue into the next release of Mastercam.

I would like to see how many people are able to copy a tool from one library into another library. What is the success rate. Mine thinks the new tool has been copied into the library. But it does not show up to view. If i try to copy the tool over again it gives me the error asking to overwrite it. But like i said it is not visually their.

Any work around ideas?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Default locations for everything except Part/CAD/etc... I'm not always connected to my network which has caused me grief on occasion, but that's a different issue.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My tool libraries have been updated with each release since Ver9. Have never had trouble in the past adding and modifying my libraries till now in MCX5. Very annoying. Cant even add a tap to my library. These are very extensive very long detailed tool libraries that a person would never want to spend days recreating from scratch new.

My Machine/Control definitions are being directed to the proper location. I can create programs using these libraries just fine. I just cant add new tools to the libraries. Although I can modify old tools.

What is the solution? Surely dont want to carry over this issue into the next release of Mastercam.

I would like to see how many people are able to copy a tool from one library into another library. What is the success rate. Mine thinks the new tool has been copied into the library. But it does not show up to view. If i try to copy the tool over again it gives me the error asking to overwrite it. But like i said it is not visually their.

Any work around ideas?

Test 1 for me...

I just copied a tool from my current part tool library (confession... was created in X5 in this particular instance) using the right click method and copy. Next, I opened up a random library, once it loaded, I pasted the tool using he ctrl+v method. The screen flashed briefly. I scroll around, and I found my tool.

Test 2 for me,

I open up a converted tool library (originated in X1 or X2), I pulled this tool into my current job, copy, again using the right click method, then I open up my destination library, paste using the ctrl+v method. My tool was immediately visible.

Question, are these custom tools by chance?

I have a library that's been with me since V9.

Been updated thru every version of X, can add tools, delete tools, edit tools, no problems at all.

I have been able to copy tools between libraries as well.

There seems to be an issue with X style coolants and tool libraries.

Are you using the V9 style or the X style of coolant, perhaps that is the difference?

I am working fine now, There are issues with custom tools in x5 but CNC software will fix it they always do...mostly. My reseller sent this to them. The tool library thing is a bug.

The biggest issue I have with this topic is custom tools. They are not posting correctly and there are some graphical issues. This is a different issue. New thread.

X5 doesn't like tool libs copied to directory through the cut paste method it doesn't matter were it is. It's better to use the "update folder" utility. It's in the file menu. Its all on page 20 of the MastercamX5 Transition Guide that shipped with X5 it on the DVD. If you cut and paste it's not converting it it's copying and old version that doesn't work in the new some times. People do get lucky it depends on what they are doing I guess.