Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface trim

Müřlıń®

trim1.jpg

trim2.jpg

trim4.jpg

trim.jpg

trim3.jpg

As we can see two of the surfaces become untrimmed. The other two trim just fine.

You must create edge curves and retrim the buggy surfs.

However on a good note, mirroring the flat round boundary surfs did allow me to solidify this particular set of surfs.

So I have found the workaround for my Solids to Surfaces thread.....

Happens here quite often, since X2

and if mirroring isn't an option yes I just recreate the messed up one.

heres a tip, copy the surface before you try to trim it, so you can get edge curves if the surface is

an irregular shape.

I'm pretty sure its a bug , and I think it is on the list for some time now

I also think it is a bug...it is the bug that will not allow those same surfaces to stitch to a solid I would suspect.

Surfacing tools seem to be low priority. That is too bad.

I receive surface models on a regular basis. Most have to be patched before one can solidify them.

These little bugs are very annoying and eat up a lot of time working around them.

These simple surfaces in this example are really no big deal, but get a model with 100 little bosses not on the main working planes and then you cannot even trim to a plane. You must manually bisect every single one with geometry.... A total PITA that I would like to see fixed.

But I won't hold my breath... :)

FYI, I have moldplus and it does a great job zone splitting with one down fall

'Sometimes' you will open up a file and it will say '138 corrupt entities not brought in'

Then the file opens and half your surfaces are gone but the paths are not dirty., bigger pain in the xxxx

if you just leave it and then an engineering change comes in.....bummer

So I do it the long way because mold plus and take just as long to fix a bug and then

it shoes up in the next release.

The 3rd part blues....

'Sometimes' you will open up a file and it will say '138 corrupt entities not brought in'

Then the file opens and half your surfaces are gone but the paths are not dirty., bigger pain in the xxxx

So I do it the long way because mold plus and take just as long to fix a bug and then

The 3rd part blues....

Ya here at this shop where I am working now I use Wildfire 4 and it has a heal geometry function.

I was just looking ahead to the near future where I will be working 100% with my copy of Mastercam at my own shop (hopefully by the end of the year).

It is the only CAD-CAM software I own a seat of. I haven't used it in a while, but I kept my maintenance current so I would not be behind when the day comes for me to utilize it.

I will have to say though X5 ROCKS!!! Been messing around with the multiaxis and it is freaking cool....

Just has a few minor bugs that annoy the crap outa meh...lol

Be very care full with the healing features. They can take liberties with gaps and voids and produce unwanted results that can be hard to spot. Sometimes it will rebuild tangent surfaces that were fine except for an adjacent gap and the end results can go out of tolerance. I always overlay the original with the healed model and do a quick visual of both the surfaces and the curves in MC.

Be very care full with the healing features. They can take liberties with gaps and voids and produce unwanted results that can be hard to spot. Sometimes it will rebuild tangent surfaces that were fine except for an adjacent gap and the end results can go out of tolerance. I always overlay the original with the healed model and do a quick visual of both the surfaces and the curves in MC.

Yes I have had the healing function produce bad results as well. That is why I feel so strongly about Mastercams surfacing function performing as expected.

One of Mastercams strengths is the ability to trim/untrim surfaces. Most of the time when a nonuniform surface is translated incorrectly you can fix it with untrim.

A poor quality model with large gaps is what it is. One cannot expect to make a Cadillac out of a model T.

However simple surfaces solutions should NEVER fail...A flat trimmed surface should be a no-brainer...

The 3rd part blues....

Hi Rick

Thank you for being a Moldplus user.

If you have issues with entities being corrupt after using Moldplus, please send the files to [email protected] for review. Provide us the steps to reproduce the error and we can check out what is going on. We keep track of all issues reported and our development process is designed to ensure that old bugs are not repeated for newer versions.

Regards

Anbu