Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Paralell toolpaths

Noel

I was reading the posts for ver 10 suggestions and the one that interests me is the need for improvement to the parallel tool path to maintain a more constant scallop.I realize that this would be difficult due to the iregular shape of the cavities that it is being asked to cut .However what if there was a way to assign a different step over for different surfaces on the same model either by picking them in groups or by color.Generaly I cut the shoulder surfaces using a fine step over(.0003" to >002")with either side of the drive surfaces as check.Then cut the rest of the cavity with a coarser step over.Its a workaround for sure.Would multiple stepovers in one cut be possible is my question.

cheers.gif Noel

Dr.Olds, Mayday is right most of the people don't know about project blend but it's a very very good one for all types of applications and it calculates the stepover relative to the surface normal so even if you have a straight wall still give you equal steps. Check in the samples (what's new v9) they show the difference between both. HTH

Simon cool.gif

Kwolf

I have tried the blend in 8.1.1.It does seem to work better on angled faces but on vertical or near vertical faces it outputs large stepovers.I've been using MC for over 3 years now and have asked my rep numerous times about this and not once did he suggest using the project blend to cut this type of cavity.Go figure.What I am interested in is to find out if the project blend in V9.1 is better at dealing with these types of surfaces.I could post an example to the site if you like.The only problem is I'm not sure if it will backplot properly with the ver9 demo.However if I was to post with a cut showing what the cut looks like now you could tell if the new cut was any better than the old one.

cheers.gif Noel

Yes, the project blend in v9.1 (or even 9sp1) is better. It handles verticle (or near verticle)surfaces much like scallop does. I like to think of the project blend as a mix between a flowline path and a scallop path. Depending on how complicated your part and or your driving geometry is, it can take a while to process a project blend path, but the results are really nice.