Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Soft milling

We've got a Haas GR 510 Router with a 10k spindle and cut a lot of soft gummy 2024(T3?) and O condition aluminum from .020" to .250" thick. We've been using uncoated 3fl YG cutters, around 3/16 to 3/8 in size with an oil mister. Anyways, the tools frequently load up, no matter what the depth cut and the operators usually end up slowing down the feed to about .001 chipload, or around 40ipm. Any recommendations on tooling and speeds and feeds?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Funny yesterday I was dry machining an aluminum fixture plate on someones vf2, which is exclusively a wood cutting machine and thus has no coolant. Maybe try a few different brands of cutter? The grinds do vary between manufacturer. The mafords have a pretty high polish, but still load up occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

Try Onsrud O-Flute cutters. Single polished flute at 10,000rpm should cut real nice and reduce burrs.

Agreed, I'm partial to the Onsrud 63 series. Look them up in the catalog. I believe the 3/8" is 63-625. I've run this cutter full engagement, 0.200" DOC 25,000rpm and 400IPM all day long. NO MIST! Just use air directed at the face of the cutter. If you blow chips behind the cutter it will load up.

Josh-

• 2 weeks later...