Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Rough Pocket

G Caputo

Hi all,

I am trying to do a surface rough pocket toolpath on a horizontal boring mill. The part is sitting on 2" parallels and clamped over the top. The toolpath looks fine. The problem I am having is where the tool approaches the part. I have set a point above the part and defined that as my entry point, by checking the box, prompt for entry point and allowing the toolpath to regenerate and then picking my created geometry when prompted. I also have the box checked saying plunge outside containment boundary. All goes well until it decides to plunge under the part right into the table. I don't want to ramp into the part, just plunge above it where I have told it to. If I tell it an entry point, why does it not use it at all times? Using V9.1 off of an Inventor 7 solid

Any help would be appreciated, probably simple, but I don't get it.

Thanks,

Greg

Jay,

When I uncheck the "plunge outside containment boundary" the face mill plunges on the centerline of the containment box I have drawn. My tool containment is checked as center, so that would make sense, but I don't want it to, nor will it plunge. Also the entry-ramp box is unchecked. So where is it coming up with to plunge anywhere other than the point I picked? I just don't understand.

Thanks,

Greg

The prompt for entry point is treated more like a 'sugestion' or bias point. It still will try to enter at different sides of the part depending on your surfaces.

As for plunging into the table. First check the Cut depths button on the third tab. You may have your minimum depth set below the table.

I find with this toolpath I sometimes have to create a 'safety surf' even with my depth limits set correctly. This usually is a simple square surface slightly above my table.

Hope this helps.

Bryan smile.gif

At home now, but this is just driving me nuts. Maybe I am going about it all wrong. To clarify, I want mastercam to determine what gets cut, by creating a containment boundary and me determining where I want the face mill to approach at each z depth. When I get to work tommorow morning, I will do my best to upload the file. This forum is the best, wish I could contribute, but for now I will read, read and read some more. Thanks for your help and again, any suggestions, I am all ears.

Greg

when you right click the geometry in the ops manager you should have a piont (your plunge piont) FIRST and your then your chain.Check promt for entry piont in rough pocket param's.In surface rough pocket if you have tool containment to centre the tool centre will go out to your geometry.with the heights check if you are using increamental deepths or absolute.On the deepth erea with in the toolpath paramerters you can right click then go to your drawing and select something to define your final z deepth.

cheers.gif

I finally have the toolpath corrected to where it works, but I uploaded the file 3154 rough 6 stacked.mc9 in the mc9 files folder. WIth finish passes checked, it works fine. Right now I have them disabled and it does something goofy at the underside of the part on it's 7th operation. If you turn that back on and shut off the plunge outside containment boundary, you will see what I meant earlier. Any clarification on what I am not understanding I think mastercam should be doing is appreciated.

Thanks all,

Greg

http://www.emastercam.com/ubb/ultimatebb.p...ic;f=1;t=006166

If I did this right, this looks exactly like the problem I am having.

[ 05-14-2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: G Caputo ]