Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Remachine

Thad

I ruff some pockets with a 2.0 cutter, then remachine the corners with a 1.0 cutter. Can someone look at this file and tell me what the hell is going on? It's called REMACHINE_THAD.MC9 and it's in the MC9 folder on cadcam's FTP. At the end of the remachine path, it does something real goofy that I can't explain. The part is symmetrical, so it should do it on both sides, but it doesn't. It also doesn't find stock in 4 corners that it should (.750 rads). If I play with the tolerance (set it to .002) in the Advanced button, I can get it to find material in those 4 corners, but it still doesn't eliminate the weird part at the end. If I increase the tolerance too high (.07), it then does the funny moves on the left side also and then mysteriously doesn't find stock in some of the other corners it should. BTW, the recommended tolerance value is 5%. Any suggestions?

Thad

P.S. I hate when this happens when you're training someone!!

It still doesn't find stock in all the .75 rad corners.

Edited to say that it does if the tolerance is set to .002. I guess I'll have to live with it (but I still want to keep tool down biggrin.gif ).

Thad

[ 05-14-2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: thad ]

Rekd,

Even though I have keep tool down selected, it still didn't keep the tool down. Did yours? Not that big of a deal since the keep tool down bug has been logged by CNC Software.

This throws a wrench in my plans. Usually when I have to remachine, I just copy the ruffing op down and make it a remachine path, make some minor tweaks, and regen. I'll just have to keep an eye out.

Thanks for the help.

Thad teh here's a dollar fifty cheers.gif

Dear Mr. Thad,

Regarding the $2.00 comment. It will certainly be considered for the next greatest hits compilation. Thank you for the suggestion.

Additionally, please remit $.50, the ballance of the $2.00 owed to Mr. 'rekd for services rendered.

In addition a $1 royalty for the use of the word "teh" which has recently been copyrighted by Mr 'rekd.

Thank You

CAMmando teh© 'rekd's agent. biggrin.gif

quote:

Additionally, please remit $.50, the ballance of the $2.00 owed to Mr. 'rekd for services rendered.

{kicking and screaming} But he didn't keep tool down. HE DIDN'T KEEP TOOL DOWN!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thad

[ 05-15-2003, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: thad ]

thad i made a pocket and used remachine and i couldn't get it to work either. so i reread the post and relized i have to make a new path and just coping it didn't work like in 8.1.1. is this correct? so after this it looked pretty good but i like to keep the tool up though.

biggrin.gif marty biggrin.gif

thad,

What are the parameters set to in the Remachine button? I usually have better luck by defining a previous tool dia. instead of calculating against a previous operation. I may have accidentally deleted the cookie I needed to access the FTP so I haven't been able to download the file. redface.gif "D'Oh!!" Also starting a new pocket remachine operation does tend to work better as motty suggested. HTH cheers.gif

About where that goofy part of the remachine toolpath comes from, while keeping tool down if you change the depth cut order from by pocket to by depth, you'll see where it comes from. It seems to calculate the toolpath by depth first and then breaks and sorts these toolpath segments and reorders them by pocket and where it decides to break the toolpath leads to the sometimes goofy results .

Jim

quote:

What are the parameters set to in the Remachine button? I usually have better luck by defining a previous tool dia. instead of calculating against a previous operation.

Peter,

I always use the previous tool diameter also.

Thad

[ 05-15-2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: thad ]

Thad,

Set the tolerence to .01 in the advanced tab. This will pick up the missing corners.

Then machine the L/H side and the center seperately.

Now all you have to do is Transform (mirror) the toolpath from the L/H side to the R/H side. Not forgetting to reverse the toolpath of course.

This is why we machine the L/H and center pockets seperately.

If the Toolpath on the l/h side works then use it for the r/h side....makes sense to me anyway.

Hope this works for u.

Litnin.

[ 05-15-2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: litnin ]

Thad,

its not realy a lot of work, about 5 minutes in fact, and you 'will' be able to keep the tool down.

A little extra time spent at the programming stage can lead to a lot of time, and money, saved at the machining stage....Thats my theory anyway.

Well the option is always there if you want it.

I've tried it and it works.

Good luck.

Litnin.