Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

importing models

depasquale

I have a student version of MCX5 and limited access to a commercial version thru my employer. I am new to mastercam as I am switching from ESPRIT. When I import a model from Pro/E solidworks or Alibre how can I create geometry that Mcam will recognize to create tool paths. I imported a model of a casting as a step file, oriented it for zero position and then wanted to Drill some holes. I select toolpaths-drill -ect... when prompted to pick points arcs entities ect.. All I can do is select the entire solid model I imported. In Esprit there was a command called "smash" that more or less extracted the edges from the solid model so you could pick specific geometry, is there a way to do this in Mcam. Feature Base Mach is all I could use to select the holes. Any help, or suggestions would be appreciated.

If you turn on the 'Create Edges' option while importing the model, you'll get lots of wireframe you can work with.

You can also enable this permanently in Settings/Config/Converters.

There are a lot of selection techniques available when picking directly off of a solid - familiarize yourself with the Solids Selection bar.

If you turn on the 'Create Edges' option while importing the model, you'll get lots of wireframe you can work with.

You can also enable this permanently in Settings/Config/Converters.

There are a lot of selection techniques available when picking directly off of a solid - familiarize yourself with the Solids Selection bar.

Thanks -- I kinda figured it was something fairly simple to do, I just need to learn where all the menues and commands are. once again thanks.

• 1 month later...

I personally like to import the model without the wireframe geometry and just use create/curve/one edge so I only have the geometry that I need for the path. This keeps the file much cleaner. I also separate the geometry for each path on different levels to make it easier to edit later if needed.

• 1 month later...
Guest newsero

Use the Assign menu > Area > Generate Edge Constraints command to add or remove edge constraints from area objects in the model. This command can be useful to model transitions where two incompatible meshes meet along an edge, for example where a finer mesh in one area has elements half as wide as elements in the coarser mesh in the other area.

Select the area object(s) to be assigned edge constraints.

Click the Assign menu > Area > Generate Edge Constraints command to access the Assign Edge Constraints form. Then choose one of the following options:

Do NOT Create Edge Constraints option. - This is the default. If edge constraints have been previously added to the object, use this option to remove them.

Create Constraints around Object Edges option. - Choose this option to add edge constraints around the selected object(s)

• 1 month later...