Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Free machining Stainless steel

GREG

quote:

that would be the "L" series of Stainless. IE: 304L

Point of Clarification,

In mild steel - 11L14 or similar, the "L" is indicative of Lead, which makes it easier to machine, as well, the sulphur and some of the other traces are increased all for the aim of improving machinability.

In Stainless Steels however, the "L" indiaction is used to specify "Low Carbon" which aids in the weldability of the metal. See also Sigma Phase Embrittlement. The proper definition is

XXX "L" Low Carbon (<0.03% as compaired to the normal <0.08%) for improved resistance to intergranular corrosion. The Metals Black Book, Ferrous Metals, 2nd Edition Volume 1 pg113.

[ 05-28-2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]

Greg,

We use "project 70" for free machining stainless steel. Try this link to have a look.Project 70+

quote:

Sorry but the terms, free machining and stainless steel never appear in the same sentance!

Give some of this S.S. a try and you may change your opinion. I have found this to be a pleasure to machine. It is more expensive but you make it up in time and insert savings.

Phil

+1 on the Carpenter Project 70/ 70+.

Incidentally, I have found Carpenters Online quoting / ordering system to be pretty good and reasonable (not excessive minimums). Esp. for small quantities, sawcut pieces and the like.

[ 05-28-2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

I believe I was told once that the cooling process is closly monitored to allow the grain structure to be more consistantly aligned which imparts fewer hard spots. We run much higher sfm and get longer tool life.

Hey Greg, where are you, sleeping? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Phil