Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma Conversational Lathe Control

We've been looking at lathes and are starting to lean towards an Okuma Genos. Anyone have any experience with Okuma's "Advanced One-Touch IGF" conversational control and care to comment on it?

Our Mori Seiki is programmed with FAPT and Mastercam lathe isn't an option that's going to be considered and am wondering if the Okuma control is really as user friendly as it looks on paper.

I will say this though,the only thing I dislike about this control is that there seems to be quite a bit of button pressing or mouse clicks if you want to change the program through IGF once it's already been created.

Kind of a non-issue, but it's just a pet peeve of mine really.

Demos are nice but feedback from guys who actually USE the machine is very valuable since a good salesman can make anything look sweet in a demo. I cannot vouch for IGF because, although we have it in about [10] machines, we don't use it; our management philosophy (which I am in agreement with) is that we program offline.

As far as OSP controls; I think that they seriously kick a$$

C

Demos are nice but feedback from guys who actually USE the machine is very valuable since a good salesman can make anything look sweet in a demo. I cannot vouch for IGF because, although we have it in about [10] machines, we don't use it; our management philosophy (which I am in agreement with) is that we program offline.

As far as OSP controls; I think that they seriously kick a$$

C

i got an offline version of IGF on my PC, so no need to stop the production to use it

Martin, why do you use IGF on your PC instead of MasterCAM?

Probably because Mastercam Lathe is atrocious.

By the time you draw the part, fight with writing toolpaths and post it, you'd be making chips if you would have programmed with IGF.

At least for me it's faster, I only use Mcam lathe for the more intricate contours, like a fancy groove or something.

Martin, why do you use IGF on your PC instead of MasterCAM?

I don't really program with it , i use the verification program include with ADMAC PART to check my NC code generate with mastercam

the simple part are done directly in the control by the setup man

PS, i really hate mazatrol.....

• 11 months later...

I'm just cutting my teeth with learning how to program our Okuma. Many of our parts are on the complicated side so my question is do you mostly program simple face and turn with a drill and a bore kind of parts with the one touch? Can any of you post up a pic of some of the more complicated parts you did with one touch to give me an idea what it can do?

Thanks,

Phil

Phil, I can send you a few in a couple days. I've done some relatively complex parts in it for Y-axis lathes. If they don't have any 3d milling or a lot of pocketing where 2d high speed machining is needed I'll use AOT (the okuma software) a lot of the time

That's interesting Ben. I was under the impression it was used mostly for simple parts. Also I didn't know Y axis could be programmed too. Don't forget I'm new to Okuma's.

Have you found any good training info on it or do you find the manuals that came with the machine and time at the control to be the best learning tools?