Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

9.1 / tool list prob

CR@seyer

Hey guys,

This problem was posted about recently but I think it deserves more attention. The problem is that when I go to open the tool library from nc utils or from the operation I have to wait 1 minute 20 seconds for it to open. That is when the file is located on the server. When it is located locally it takes 50 seconds to open, per my trusty stopwatch. Either instance is too long. We have spent a considerable amount of time customizing a tool list so that speeds and feeds are consistent between programmers on specialized tooling. This is also the reason for keeping the tool list on the server. The tool list is large at 2,535 k. Nevertheless, this problem was nonexistent in version 9.0sp1. I have not found this problem with op libraries or material libraries but they have not been customized to the extent that the tool library has been. The computer is a brand new 2.8 P4 with G-forceII 64 mg video and 512 ram running XP pro.

One suggestion from the previous string was to open the file as an MC9 file and resave. I tried this and it made little or no difference.

Another suggestion was to update XP with the latest updates. The NT guy did this and it too made no difference. I am at a loss as to what to do next.

This is my first post and I hope that I was specific enough not to upset the Mastercam gods ; )

Thanks in advance,

[email protected]

Welcome to the board. smile.gif

Our tool library is about 85 tools, but I don't remember the actual file size. We keep it on a network so all 4 seats of MC can access it. I notice about a 3-4 second delay accessing the ops library or the tool library. So far, this has been acceptable. The delay seems to decrease after accessing it for the first time.

I recall something about converting it to a text file, then converting that text file back to a TL9 file. Give that a try. FWIW, opening the tool library as an MC9 file and resaving just doesn't make sense to me. I'll give it a try if I ever see the need for it though.

Good luck.

Thad

quote:

OK, I tried that, unfortunately it did not work.

When you say it didn't work, do you mean that it didn't decrease your "tool get" time?

Just out of curiousity, how many tools do you have in your library and just how "tweaked" is your library to have it 2.5MB? Our 85 tool library is only 107k. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but when I created it, I opted not to save the "tool file name" (on the last paramter page) when creating tools. Anyone know if this makes a difference in library size?

Thad

CR@seyer,

I've just copied the Big_MM.TL9 library file to a location on our server here in the office. It's the largest library in Mill with over 2800 tools and at 3.2Meg. When "getting tool" from this library that I changed to, it took less than 10 seconds to read the entire library without the tool Filter being active. I am using a 2.0 Ghz Athlon processor machine with Win XP Pro and a slightly newer video card (GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 128Mb). I hardly think it has anything to do with Mastercam. Your IT professional should be the one to talk to. There's something going on with your system. It should not even take 5 seconds to read tools from your library on the local machine. Perhaps there's some setting in the Windows File Explorer that is slowing your progress. Make sure you're viewing all types of file extensions (not "Hide files of known extensions") in the Folder Options. HTH biggrin.gif

Here is a twist on this thing, not only does it take well over a minute to open the library, it also will not let me get some of the tools. Not all, just some of them. It replaces whatever I select with a .469 dia end mill. I don't get it but I sure hope they fix it soon.

Thanks

Clayton

Thanks all for your input,

Here is what I ultimately did, I converted my library to text, and then created a library from text but I made sure to use a short file name. The previous file name was "STANDARD TOOLING" which was fairly long and it had a space in it. It never gave me any trouble in 9.0 but I think it might be the cause. I had tried converting to and from text before when perfecseal mankato suggested it but I didn't change the filename other than to add a "2" to it to keep from overwriting the original. Now I named it STDTOOLS and it comes up in about 10 seconds or less.

Thanks for all the help,

Clayton