Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling 316SS Plate

I am running some parts from 1.25" - 316SS plate. (waterjet to blocks on size)

And I have quite a few to run.

They have two .642 - .650 holes (thru).

I have tried Iscar's SumoCham drill, this drill was selected because according to Iscar it could be used with OR with-out coolant-thru.

My machine does not have coolant thru the spindle, but we have ran them on another machine that does have a coolant thru spindle and YES it did make the tips last a few more parts but still not like they should, for their cost.

The tips are breaking down, on both machines, like the carbide is fracturing off the edges, maybe BUE is causing it? I have tried light and heavy feed and low and high surface feet, don't matter the edges still break down. :angry:

At $70+ a pop for a new tip every 8 - 10 holes, this just aint working.

I can't be the only one on here who needs to drill in 316 SS, but I don't have much experience with SS.

I don't have a problem with buying good stuf - but this just aint working.

Anybody got some great words of WISDOM???

Thanks...

Mark

OSG makes an awesome drill for Stainless 300 series it's the EX-GOLD HSS series , you ca easily drill over 5000 holes with the same drill

I agree with Goldorak, I've used the EX-SUS, and the EX-GOLD series HSS drills, and they last forever, if you use their speeds and feeds from their book.

I have a 1/2" drill that has drilled about 1000 holes in 316SS and it still looks brand new.