Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Standard Geometry Imports

uncle_dolan

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if it is possible to get standard geometry to be imported when you create a new program file. So for example a vice model? or fixture models? Ideally when you start a new file you would have a vice on level 'x' positioned where you would normally have it etc. I'm thinking it looks like youd need to run a c hook or vb script on start to do this. Anyone run into this before?

Thanks in advance!

Brendan

You can create your vice/fixture and save it as it's own file- different level , then open your part file and merge the other file into it and keep it on a diferent level than your part.

Or open your vice model and merge your part into it and resave as the part file. I don't do this cuz I WILL forget to save it as part #. :D

Set it up in your machine def. On the right, in the window for "machine configuration", right click on table or chuck or whatever you want the vise to be a "child" of, and select "add component" then "miscellaneous".

Then make that machine the default that Mcam loads on startup.

I think you have to open Mcam by double clicking on the machine definition file or opening the machine def in a blank file.... I did it for a rotary table a few months back...

Set it up in your machine def. On the right, in the window for "machine configuration", right click on table or chuck or whatever you want the vise to be a "child" of, and select "add component" then "miscellaneous".

Then make that machine the default that Mcam loads on startup.

I think you have to open Mcam by double clicking on the machine definition file or opening the machine def in a blank file.... I did it for a rotary table a few months back...

Keith...

Doesn't that work only if you have version X or higher....Brendan, what version MC are you running?

Bill, actually that is a good way to do it and one simple way to make sure you won't overwrite your master file is to go into it's properties and change them to READ only. You'll be able to open the file and or merge it into another without the risk of overwriting it.

It is a great way to make sure you're starting out with a known machine / tooling setup if you are opening a part file.

A wise and knowledgeable (Roger Peterson @ Prototek) app's person gave us the idea awhile back and the idea has stuck since. It's one thing to have master copies backed up on disk or a server but makes a working file easily available with less risk of it being violated.

Oh, by the way thanks Roger =)

Great! Thanks everyone for the ideas. I am running X5MU1.

Bill/Brad, I have been using the file merge method up until now and you are right, it works great! The main reason I want to try something else is because I am importing virtually the same geometry for every part i program. I have thought about setting up an mcx file with vice/fixtures and using that as my default, but have always been worried about overwriting the file. Making it read-only is a great idea! Might have to look into that a bit more! Thanks for the help!

Keith, that method also sounds really good. If I were to do this, could i add multiple fixtures and toggle the visibility of each when programming. for example for our Deckel have a vice and a chuck and a standard fixture all built into the machine def and then choose which I am using when actually in the program? Or am i limited to 1?

Thanks for the info!

Brendan