Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MAM72-63V Spindle indexing for right angle head

We use low profile Alberti RAH. Great for small tools. I'd like to use Commands coolant driven for larger tools but spindle indexing is crucial (trying to avoid running several $5k+ tools for one job...)

I know that some machines have spindle indexing (with spindle clamping), but I'm not sure if it's available for MAM.

We use low profile Alberti RAH. Great for small tools. I'd like to use Commands coolant driven for larger tools but spindle indexing is crucial (trying to avoid running several $5k+ tools for one job...)

I know that some machines have spindle indexing (with spindle clamping), but I'm not sure if it's available for MAM.

We have a EL Tool RAH that's coolant driven.

Yes, you can run it on a MAM72-63V.... Just use M19 to lock the spindle.

Read thru this:

EL Tool instructions

it explains using M19....

Maybe I'm just not understanding what you are trying to do. Are you just tryng to index the tool in the RAH or are you trying to index the RAH itself?

I'm just curious if I was missing something and somebody has some kind of mechanical RAH that is able to be indexed "automagically" and not manualy. I currently do that on my machines (not MAM), but I have to use the coolant driven head in order to do that.

I know, or rather heard that there are machines that can actually index the spindle at a set angle increment (ex. 10-30 deg, ??) and clamp it down.

It's like having an extra axis. Sort of similar to our macturn which only has 2 position milling spindle indexing.

I know, or rather heard that there are machines that can actually index the spindle at a set angle increment (ex. 10-30 deg, ??) and clamp it down.

Yes, I do that already (M19 S300 indexes the spindle to 30°.... M19 S1800=180°, etc), but it will not index the RAH itself unless you use the coolant driven one mentioned earlier. A tool changer mounted machanical RAH needs a stop block.

Yes, I do that already (M19 S300 indexes the spindle to 30°.... M19 S1800=180°, etc), but it will not index the RAH itself unless you use the coolant driven one mentioned earlier. A tool changer mounted machanical RAH needs a stop block.

You're right, only with coolant driven heads.

We have a EL Tool RAH that's coolant driven.

Yes, you can run it on a MAM72-63V.... Just use M19 to lock the spindle.

Read thru this:

EL Tool instructions

it explains using M19....

Kevin, I just noticed your post...

Can you actually index and then clamp the spindle in any other position then tool change position?

M19 is a tool change orientation only.

Edit:

Interesting, I didn't think of actually altering an M19 parameter to index the spindle...

Thanks for sharing!

Kevin, I just noticed your post...

Can you actually index and then clamp the spindle in any other position then tool change position?

M19 is a tool change orientation only.

Edit:

Interesting, I didn't think of actually altering an M19 parameter to index the spindle...

Thanks for sharing!

It does work very nicely...I just discovered this a week or so ago. While using it....I highly recommend changing your toolchange macro to make sure it re-orients itself back to zero....kinda makes it fail safe.