Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how to drill some holes.....

JG

Hi Everyone,

I have a upcoming job where i will need to drill at least 90,000 + holes in a part (small holes, large part).....the data I will have will be a point with a line going in the direction of the hole C/L, it's likely the point will be mid length of the line, also, I may have a free form surface that the point will lie on. the hole will not necessarily be normal to the surface, they will likely be at some arbitrary angle. any thoughts on how I can go about this, if I have to do it manually I will be ready for the single sleeve white shirt that ties in the back......

thanks,

JG

Hi Everyone,

I have a upcoming job where i will need to drill at least 90,000 + holes in a part (small holes, large part).....the data I will have will be a point with a line going in the direction of the hole C/L, it's likely the point will be mid length of the line, also, I may have a free form surface that the point will lie on. the hole will not necessarily be normal to the surface, they will likely be at some arbitrary angle. any thoughts on how I can go about this, if I have to do it manually I will be ready for the single sleeve white shirt that ties in the back......

thanks,

JG

three steps:

1.) open mouth

2.) insert large caliber pistol

3.) pull trigger

90,000 holes thats crazy stuff right there ;)

Hi Keith,

the points and lines are customer supplied, thats the way they do it instead of actually putting the holes in a solid body. I'll take a look at hole axis, i've used that before.... Dodgerfan, even if i did that they would still find a way to make me do it....besides, i would not want that job as my last thought....

Festus,

I have not received the file yet, apparently someone is putting the lines and points in, actually i don't know how they put the data in, but i do know (from similar parts) there will be groups of holes that are normal to the surface (no problem there) and groups that have the same angle from a the surface, but the surface is curved making those holes unique as far as programming goes...

thanks,

Can you ask the customer how they input the data? If they are using something like an Excel Spreadsheet you can probably export from Excel as a Comma Delimited File that has all of the vectors in it. From there import into MC then select all points.... should work like a charm!

HTH!

Josh

Wouldn't a surface for tip control keep the spindle normal to the surface? (i.e. not what he is after?)

No, the vectors are controlling the tool/spindle normal, the surface for tool tip control is how I control the depth.

By using a surface for the tool tip control the vector and point can actually be down in the hole.