Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

304 SS steel engraving

SpecialtyTool

I have a job coming up that is going to require a lot of engraving to be done with a 1/32" endmill in 304 SS. It is going to be 1/32" deep. When I say a lot im talking like 10-12 hrs per part. I have to machine a logo and leave the lettering standing as a boss. I am using a pocket toolpath and chaining the lettering as well so it is left standing. My question is this, I know the tool will not last the entire cycle so what would be the best approach to be able to change a tool in 15-20 min intervals? I really don't want to have to completely re draw everything and break it down into different operations and pockets. Obviously Im going to start by roughing it with a half, then step down but the 1/32" will still be doing a LOT of machining as there are a lot of small spaces to get into. Also, recommendations for tools and feeds and speed would be appreciated.

I have a job coming up that is going to require a lot of engraving to be done with a 1/32" endmill in 304 SS. It is going to be 1/32" deep. When I say a lot im talking like 10-12 hrs per part. I have to machine a logo and leave the lettering standing as a boss. I am using a pocket toolpath and chaining the lettering as well so it is left standing. My question is this, I know the tool will not last the entire cycle so what would be the best approach to be able to change a tool in 15-20 min intervals? I really don't want to have to completely re draw everything and break it down into different operations and pockets. Obviously Im going to start by roughing it with a half, then step down but the 1/32" will still be doing a LOT of machining as there are a lot of small spaces to get into. Also, recommendations for tools and feeds and speed would be appreciated.

You'd be surprised how long a good ball endmill will last.

Especially engraving.

Dont get cheap on the ball EMs buy some good quality mills.

PEACE :D

Engraving 420 s.s. in a machine now. I use Harvey Tool engravers,speeds are on their web site. Depending on the work I'll programm tool changes

at best guess intervals. If I over estimate it I'll hand edit it. Harvey has some cutters for hard milling that hold an edge really well.

You'd be surprised how long a good ball endmill will last.

Especially engraving.

Dont get cheap on the ball EMs buy some good quality mills.

I had kinda thought of this. I just put a little more thought into it and you are probably right. An enmill that small with a 20-30 percent stepover leave less than a .001" scallop. Plus I just realized I can get a 1/16 into a lot of places. That would only be a .0015" scallop. This is a purely cosmetic part. Probably gonna get sandblasted and painted anyways.

-SpecialtyTool

PEACE :D

Isn't this where tool life management on your machine would come into play?

I've never used it, so I may be wrong.

You are right as well. Its just the fact that we just started using MasterCam and I haven't had a chance to play around with all of the features to see how the machine will actually respond and how to go about restarting after the tool has exceeded its life. They are Mazaks and currently they just throw up a "Silent alarm" so to speak. Its up to the operator to change tools and restart the previous unit.