Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Internal Rad

Jasond0530

I have a piece of tubing approx 190mm dia with a 184mm dia bore 300mm long which has a 90mm bore and a rectangular pocket 90mm x60mm(60mm going thru the "Y" axis) which require 1.5mm rads on the inside edge of bore and pocket.

the cutter i have defined is a 18mm slot mill,2mm wide with 0.99mm corner rads!

any ideas as to best achieve these rads using a full 4th axis with L3 mill and solids!

any help appreciated.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Actually, it's not as difficult as it may seem. Model the rad, get a lollipop endmill (the270 Deg. UNdercutting E/M's from Harvey Tool are the $#!+

Then do a flowline toolpath, turn off all the gouge checks, use "direction" to guide it into the hole if necessary.

That's the reader's diges version. Write back if you need more specific detail.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, gotta bring this topic back up (new to internal rad's and Flowline) This job will be on a full 4th VMC. Mpmaster Post

I have a .75 dia hole through a 4" tube with a .05 internal rad, wall thickness of about 3/8" I have ordered one of the Harvey 270 deg endmills for this.

I modeled the fillet inside the hole, Custom tool on another level to use, then attempted Flowline..... Not having much luck (not really sure what im doing lol)

James: I tried your "reader's digest" version, but not much Luck... ANY Help would be greatly Appreciated

If it's a gouging problem, keep your retracts within the job! I also used direction and I edited the toolpath!

I didn't use a custom tool either, mine was a slot mill with corner rads .01mm smaller than actual rad!

If you want I could have a look at file if you put it on the FTP!

Off work tomorrow, so won't be able to get it up till Monday.

Gouging isn't my problem. I don't know how to make the path actually go down below the rad of the tool to achieve the Undercut.

Knowing little to nothing about how flowline works isn't helping. The path I tried just cuts cuts air (not even close to enough depth on the tool for an undercut.

Sorry for my Ignorance, just never had to do this before..... :unsure:

Off work tomorrow, so won't be able to get it up till Monday.

Gouging isn't my problem. I don't know how to make the path actually go down below the rad of the tool to achieve the Undercut.

Knowing little to nothing about how flowline works isn't helping. The path I tried just cuts cuts air (not even close to enough depth on the tool for an undercut.

Sorry for my Ignorance, just never had to do this before..... :unsure:

Are you trying to use a custom tool? Try using the MC defined lollipop. I use it all the time with no problems, but if I try to draw the tool as a custom tool, no luck.