Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SOLIDWORKS ASSEMBLY

Elmer Fudd

To bring a SolidWorks assembly into MC, save it as a parasolid and use File/Convert/Parasolid

to bring it into MC. MC will put one dumb solid on a seperate layer. I don't know what would happen if your assembly had more than 256 parts.

If you don't want part of the assembly in MC, hide it in SW. It won't be part of the parasolid.

SolidWorks has a VERY COOL feature for exporting parasolid.

Go to Insert/Reference Geometry/ Coordinate System and create a Cooridinate Sytem that matches

the orientation you require for Mastercam. You can use points, faces and edges to define the CS or make new planes and sketches if required.

When you Save As/parasolid, click on the Options box and choose your Coordinate Sysem from the

Output Coordinate System drop down.

When you import the parasolid into MC it will be oriented in Mastercam's WSC as you defined it in SolidWorks. No more rotating and translating to get the solids the way you want them!!!

I've been bugging MC beta for a year to include

the Output Cooridinate System option in the

SW/MC Add In. So far, no luck. Once you've got the hang of it, you'll never use the sldprt translator again.

[ 06-18-2003, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

If you need to bring in assembly, open the file in SolidWorks then do a "Save As" and choose the X_T file format. It will ask if you want to smash the file heirarchy (spell check) and select "yes" for this option. Go to MC, file, import, Paasolids, then select the X_T file format. Works great. The colors come through as in the assembly and if I remember correctly, I think the cad comes in on several diffeent levels. Pretty easy to grab a color and switch to diferent levels for ad management.

HTH

Was a level 3 user, now a level 1, Yikes!