Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone else here use a TriTech 5 axis head?

Wondering if anyone else uses this head? We have one and are about to implement it with just tilt and no rotary and without Tri-Techs secondary post processor.

The head

43087.jpg

If you do use one with Mastercam did you implement a machine stock model for verification?

Here is predator's version of it.

tritech_5axis_predator_virtual_cnc.png

http://www.predator-software.com/images/software/virtual_cnc/tritech_5axis_predator_virtual_cnc.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have been interested in this Tri-Tech head for awhile now. We have several large Haas machines (VF-7's and VF-9's) that we already run 5-axis trunnions on. I assume the drives that are already there for the trunnions would work fine for this head. What is the rigidity like, how aggressive can you really get? Is a 1/2" 3-flute endmill in aluminum at say 8000 RPM and around .005 IPT (120 IPM) feasable?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I have been interested in this Tri-Tech head for awhile now. We have several large Haas machines (VF-7's and VF-9's) that we already run 5-axis trunnions on. I assume the drives that are already there for the trunnions would work fine for this head. What is the rigidity like, how aggressive can you really get? Is a 1/2" 3-flute endmill in aluminum at say 8000 RPM and around .005 IPT (120 IPM) feasable?

It's NOT for aggressive machining. 120 IPM may exceed the feed limits on the rotary, depends on how far away away from the pivot point you are.

More than likely we would use it in more of a 3+2 application for the most part. I guess what I am asking is, once positioned is the head rigid enough to handle 120 IPM in linear and arc movements not necessarily 5-axis simultaneous.

Thanks for your reply, do you have one of these heads?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
...once positioned is the head rigid enough to handle 120 IPM in linear and arc movements not necessarily 5-axis simultaneous.

Going to depend on WOC and DOC. 120 IPM @ 100% WOC and 100% of Dia. DOC... probably not. They are more for light duty stuff or if you need to get after it, use HST techniques. You get higher MRR that way anyway.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Sorry, I didn't give you much info to work with did I. I use HST whenever possible so I would be looking to get say 1XD DOC and 20% Stepover. I'm sure this head would outperform a Right Angle Head in any application right?

Definitely better than a RAH. 20% WOC is probably MAX I would go but yeah, that should do ok in Al. If you're going to cut harder materials then I'd cut the stepover even more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

tri-tech has a post. the plus side here is that it works with multiple cam systems.

one post for:

mastercam

catia

gibbs

etc... cant remember all of them.

really the main wonky thing about this head is that the gear train is a master-slave deal. if you turn only one motor you get two rotational movements. so if you want to just move a90. for example, you need to code a90 c90... or something to that effect.

• 3 months later...