Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lang workholding fixtures + or - ?

Oscar R.

We're currently looking at some workholding options for a few machines here. 3 axis okumas VMC, 5 axis Matsura, maybe some 4 axis stuff too.

Anyone ever work with Lang workholding fixtures. They look pretty elaborate and $$$. Maybe overkill for what we do.

How do they compare to say... Raptor or Thechni-Grip?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've got a few customers using them. All in the aerospace and 5-Axis Realm. THe advantage over Raptors that Lange has is that there is no prep op required. The disadvantage is the price. They are EXTREMELY proud of them.

We have Lang, Bock and various sizes of the Raptor tooling. In my own opinion, Raptor is tough to beat. If you're looking for blank load type of work holding in your 5 Axis, no other vise compares to the rigidity than clamping on a dovetail (RAPTOR). Plus you don't have the jaws as obstacles to work around. This means shorter holders and tools = Rigidity! If you will still need a vise for secondary ops, I would stick Lang! They are much cheaper than Bock and perform better! Hope this helps...

We use lang vices 3"&5" with the quick point and bases, on all our five axis machines they are awsome. I made my own pedestals to raise them up and provide clearance. I also buy the pull studs seperately and make fixtures for second ops to fit the quick point bases so they can come on and off without breaking our set-ups.

We have Lang, Bock and various sizes of the Raptor tooling. In my own opinion, Raptor is tough to beat. If you're looking for blank load type of work holding in your 5 Axis, no other vise compares to the rigidity than clamping on a dovetail (RAPTOR). Plus you don't have the jaws as obstacles to work around. This means shorter holders and tools = Rigidity! If you will still need a vise for secondary ops, I would stick Lang! They are much cheaper than Bock and perform better! Hope this helps...

As far as rigidity goes I use the Lang vices to run parts that stand out 11" with tight tolerances, many parts we rough, stress relieve and reload locating by the teeth marks on the material (including those 11" parts).

Thanks for the response guys.

We just got done meeting with our local Lang rep. this morning and he's agreed to let us use some loaners to try out in our shop.

Hopfully we can get thier competitors to do the same so that we can do a real world comparison with the jobs and michines that we currently have in house.

We specialize in making engineered plastics and composites here so set-ups tend to vary, to say the least.

I'll try to report back as soon as possible with any findings, for those who are interested.

In the mean time, I appreaciate any and all oppinions on the tooling systems I've mentioned above as I'll be using those as points of refrence for my comparison.

Thanks agian.