Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill-Turn vs. Multi-Tasking

I've been thinking about this for a bit and aren't multi-tasking machines, ie NT, Integrex, Multus, loosely called Mill-Turns because they mill and turn? Wheres as mill-turning i an actual process. ie rotating shell mill applied to a turning part in the chuck? Even though we all know what is meant by the term mill-turn machine. What say you? I'll stick with calling them multi-tasking machines.

I consider mill-turn a machine that can do both milling and turning. A multi-tasking machine to me is a machine that can multi-task, do multiple things at the same time like a twin turret machine. Also a multi-tasking machine can also be mill-turn style that can do both mill and turn.

A multi-tasking machine to me is a machine that can multi-task, do multiple things at the same time like a twin turret machine

Doug, is that your employer's position, or just yours? Sandvik, I know, considers a swivel-head machine like an Integrex or a Multus to be a "multi-function" or "multi-tasking" machine; this is the opposite of your statement. That being said, Okuma describes both a MacTurn and a Multus as "multi-function" machines.

To me, a mill / turn machine is a slant-bed lathe with live tools and C-X contouring; multi-function machines are everything else

Doug, is that your employer's position, or just yours? Sandvik, I know, considers a swivel-head machine like an Integrex or a Multus to be a "multi-function" or "multi-tasking" machine; this is the opposite of your statement. That being said, Okuma describes both a MacTurn and a Multus as "multi-function" machines.

To me, a mill / turn machine is a slant-bed lathe with live tools and C-X contouring; multi-function machines are everything else

Chris, We do not have any official definition of either term here. Those are just more of what comes to mind when I hear the terms. However I do also accept the notion that multi-tasking can easily describe a machine function like a B axis head in a Multus or NT because they can do multiple different operations with the same tool. I'm not to rigid on definitions, I just was sharing my thoughts.

Doug, my intention was not to be hostile, sorry if it came off that way. I was just wondering if Okuma considered a machine like an LT or MacTurn to be multi-tasking, or the Multus. The Okuma website says Multus / MacTurn (though they're very different, in my opinion) both, so who knows? I have a friend who is deeply involved in the machine sales business and he has said that it is becoming more and more difficult to differentiate one machine from another because so many "crossovers" now exist.

C

No worries Chris, I just was sharing what my thoughts are. I do agree though that those definitions are very blurred with some of the new machines that are out. We also sell Hydromat machines. Some of those have 12 stations that can turn or mill, others have 4 or 6 stations with vertical and horizontal spindles at each station. I'm not sure what to call those.

Just my opinion here...

Turn-Mill machines are those like the Mazak Integrex, Mori NT, Okuma MacTurn or Multus (and many, many others) that are essentially lathes with milling capability.

Some have B-axis milling but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are fundamentally a lathe in their design.

Other machines such as the DMG FD series of machines are what I call Mill-Turn machines as they are milling machines that can do turning.

To me there's a clear difference in design characteristics between the 2 types of machines.

A multi-tasking machine is one that can perform more than machining process simultaneously.

EG. More than one turret.

Again, just my opinion and how I see (and classify) these machines to myself.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Just my opinion here...

Turn-Mill machines are those like the Mazak Integrex, Nakamura NTMX or NTJX, Mori NT, Okuma MacTurn or Multus (and many, many others) that are essentially lathes with milling capability.

Some have B-axis milling but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are fundamentally a lathe in their design.

Other machines such as the DMG FD and Matsuura CUBLEX series of machines are what I call Mill-Turn machines as they are milling machines that can do turning.

To me there's a clear difference in design characteristics between the 2 types of machines.

A multi-tasking machine is one that can perform more than machining process simultaneously.

EG. More than one turret.

Again, just my opinion and how I see (and classify) these machines to myself.

Fissed and that's pretty much how I classify them as well. :D

Other machines such as the DMG FD and Matsuura CUBLEX series of machines AND Okuma MU500 an Millac 33TU are what I call Mill-Turn machines as they are milling machines that can do turning.

As long as we are fissing an Okuma MU500 and Millac 33TU are 5 axis vertical VMC's that can also do turning wink.gif

LOL, sorry for not mentioning [iNSERT MACHINE MANUFACTURER HERE] and their range of [iNSERT MACHINE MODEL HERE].

I (mistakenly I guess) thought by saying "other machines" that I'd save having to list them out.

Adding in machines from Bumotec, Willemin, Integrex i and j series machines which are slight variations on the turn-mill theme with a vice or clamping system instead of a traditional sub spindle and the ranges of offer for these machines is quite considerable.

@CNC Apps Guy, no mention of the MX-5 then?

:D

PS. I apologize in advance to any other machine tool applications engineer if I left out their machines, feel free to join in the party and add to the list.

;)