Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Scallop Rest Passes.... Best Rest Material Options

huskermcdoogle

Scallop Rest Passes....

So I have this part which is an utter pain in my butt. Probably one of the most complicated surfacing jobs I have done in that it requires multiple length roughing tools, involves deep channels, in needs to run quick.... Quick being a relatively interesting phrase in that I was successful in our first run of parts to make these within the ball park of our quoted time, but we need them done quicker because our machine is backed up, bigtime.... So far I think I have been very successful in making these parts run much much faster, think I took off an hour or so, which in a four hour cycle is pretty good, but there are a few areas where I think it could use some improvement. I used a flat end mill and did a horizontal area finishing toolpath which cuts out about probably 30% of the finishing. I then tried to do scallop rest passes using all previous operations, but my computer gets to a certain level of completion then MC freezes, completely non responsive. So then I used a cad file and it still cut the areas that I didn't want it to machine, so I figured my tolerance wasn't good enough for it to recognize that it was already machined.

Do you guys have any suggestions, I would like to avoid adding containment boundaries, but instead would like to figure out the most effective way to get the software to do some work for me. I attached a picture and a link to an example file in my dropbox (60MB), if you want to play around with it. Basically I flattened the Used Geo to one level (sorry for the mess) then deleted all of the geometry of the rest of the part so I am not posting my customers part on the web....

GeoPic.png

Thanks for the help in advance,

Husker

I would not use rest machining

a bunch of solid slices

Bulding on them driving surfaces

Building bunch of boundaries

Every slice on it`s level

Than something like surface rough pocket ot even surface project .

Something primitive cause your model is heavy

And that`s all

I am an old school guy I do not afraid of a dirty work and not waiting for the miracle.

Especially the remachining was never a strong point of Mastercam.

Sometimes you need the hardway

Example of my style

x.png

I am thinking my best bet is to draw containment boundaries using the chains that intersect the horizontal areas then basically draw pockets that incorporate my cutter radius so that I basically draw the areas that don't need to be finished with the ball end tool.

The question in regards to using rest material in the high speed scallop pass was more informational for future projects. I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been with it in the past.

Thanks,

Husker

MORE COMPLEX THE PART remachining turns to be less effective .

in situations like in my part from my pprevious post it was useless

Consider this if you program it from all the previous operations you need to put lock

on operation or any little change that you made to any previous operation makes your file dirty

Or to work from stl that has it`s own issues

If like in my case you have roughing finish operations from couple of sides and final 5x operation

I prefer to use boundaries and use some simple toolpath as parallel or scallop .

It takes not so much time to draw boundary in the custom toolplane

Being creative takes time but you make the part fast and effective.

That you go dirty ways not so attractive as remachining only means you know

your program limitations .

I could make hustle and cry about remachining(rest milling ) NFG in almost every part I have.

Instead of this I bypass it and make parts .

The Cad Cam thAt works way better with remachining is Cimatron

There it is implemented almost perfect still in complex parts sometimes I had issues .

Nothing can be perfect but rest milling in MC far from perfect at all.

Know your limitations and bypass them .

Best regards